Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive the same 160 mile round trip every single weekend. Stops are identical, I fill up at the same fuel station every time and carry the same amount of passengers (the wife, boy and I). I usually travel no more than 5 MPH over the speed limit (60 in a 55 and 70 in 65 zones). My MPG with the stock air filter averaged around 34 with A/C and 35 MPG without. After installing the K&N drop in replacement filter and coulpe of tanks later I averaged between 36.97 and 37.73. My Box is an '06.5 Automatic. I use Castrol 5W30 regular dino oil and fill up with Shell 87 Octane.

It really doesn't sound like alot, but for my tight budget, any improvement is welcomed. I also realize MPG is subjective and all but, thought I'd share this with you anyways. :)

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
thats great mileage! both of you guys!

i heard that putting an intake will help you gain mpg. most people tends to rev their engine many times just to hear that nice sound from the intake, which causes loss in mpg.

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah, i do tend to drive like a indy car driver on my way home from work, most of the time....i got a 45min drive frim work to home....so i get kinna bored...lol

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Drop in free flowing air filter better than 95% of the "Cold Air Intakes" on the market. Most of the "CAI"'s on the market only look cool and are compared to stock motors with a dirty stock filter and their brand new clean filter before the engine compartment really warms up or with the hood open on the dyno. In my new job most of our analysis is on underhood temperature and air flow. It is very interesting to look at.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's normal to see a slight increase in mileage after installing a high flow filter like that.

You will see another slight increase if you free up your exhaust as well. If you are on a budget, look for low-buck axle-back exhaust systems. If you can afford it, spring for a cat-back system.

I gained an average of about 3mpg after installing my cat-back exhaust. I see an average of about 33mpg and I have the stock air filter.

·
Registered
974 Posts
heathenbrewing said:
Be warned - the oil that will come off the K&N ends up killing your MAF sensor.
It takes a while though. and you can clean it right away and go easy on the oil and extend the life of you MAF a little more even.

·
Registered
552 Posts
heathenbrewing said:
If your sucking oil to the sensor, then your over oiling the filter and did the damage to your car yourself.

Use the correct amount of oil and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope I don't have any issues like that. I don't hot rod the Box or anything..... hmmmm that didn't sound good did it? LOL!!! :eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heathenbrewing said:

Thanks for the warning!! Do you have any proof of this? I'd like to read up on it...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
25 mpg is average for me, 27 is good, 28 is great! Never seen over 30 since I started keeping track.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rodek said:
Thanks for the warning!! Do you have any proof of this? I'd like to read up on it...
Nope. I was looking into getting one, but I kept hearing such negitives about it, Im sticking to stock paper.

Got my best mileage at last nights fill up.....38.6 MPG. :D

·
Banned
130 Posts
I'm also seeing a noticable MPG increase since installing my K&N drop-in filter. Averaging 2-4 MPG gained throughout the tank, and not driving any differently. Maybe 4 even if I drive like an economy car..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For the price, I'd say it's one of the cheapest ways to get better MPG. On a hill that I normally driove on daily, the box doesn't downshift like it used to either. I'm not sayinga drop in filter is magic but, it certainly helps.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't have proof for you to read up on, but I can go into a little more detail on the MAF sensor problems with oiled air filters.....

Oiled air filters release oil into the airstream when too heavily oiled, this oil collects on the little reed in the MAF. Eventually the oil builds up and cakes on that reed in the MAF and throws the sensors readings off causing it to go bad.

If you are worried about this happening there are two solutions....

1. Clean out your filter and re oil it, but go VERY easy on the oil.

2. occasionally remove the MAF and clean it. I don't have details on what cleaners or techniques are safe for this step, but I have heard it can be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought miy 2006.5 salsa red auto xB ... :D ... and was expecting more like 26 to 28 MPG in real world driving but I have to say I am getting dead even 33MPG the last 3 times I filled up which is a nice suprise and that is in stock form and not really careful driving- can't wait to see what happens once I added the TRD intake and exhaust ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.