Scion xB Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
85 Posts
You're a very brave man, putting WM oil in yours... :oops:

Oil is very subjective, and there are many threads on here debating which is best if you want to do a lil research, but ultimately you're the one that gets to make that decision.

Lots of people love Mobil1, I'm a Castrol guy, it's kind of like the eternal Ford/Chevy or Toyota/Nissan rivalries. Pick a team and stick with them! (But hopefully not team WalMart or team dollar store, haha.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Decades ago, I was a Castrol guy.

I changed brands because of Cost and I found the Other brand caused LESS oil consumption!

It's been so long ago I don't remember the brand.

Then I heard WM oil was actually Made by a main brand and have been using it since, WITH NO ISSUES.

Then, of course, things CHANGE...

MY experience has been engines that USE oil Will use more or less oil depending on the brand/type of oil.

My current plan is to step UP a bit with the oil weight of a CONVENTIONAL oil... just as a test.

BTW, I call WM "The Dark side" for a reason...

·
Registered
18 Posts
One aspect of the Scion/Toyota engine, that I didn't realize, is that the oil pump runs off the crankshaft,

instead of at half speed from the camshaft/drive ( things you learn with intimate dismemberment ).

SO, the oil is subjected to more shearing than engines with slower turning oil pumps, and

the oil SHOULD be changed in less miles than a slower turning oil pump engine.

I'm wondering if the oil pump speed is because of cost of build OR because of the oil controlled VVT?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts