Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2005 XB this weekend. Tried to buy 2 others and they both sold before I could get to them. This one I drove 4 hours one way to get. It's definitely not perfect but it runs great and the interior is really nice. I already preplaced some crap tires and ordered some rear shocks since one is leaking. The previous owner put an aftermarket intake in it so I'm not sure if I want to change that out yet. I'm sure I will be modifying a bunch of things. It's been a while since I have been in the customizing game. My current daily isn't very customizable.
Anywho my name is Mike and I'm from Savannah Georgia. I hope to learn a bunch from this forum.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
996 Posts
Welcome to the site, Mike. Good to see another East coast xB. You will see a lot of inspiration for xB mods here. Your ride looks to be a clean canvas for whatever you choose to do. Glad you realized a long time interest in the xB. Frank

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could have written the title to this thread. I JUST got my 06 xB running after buying it with a bad engine, a few months ago.

My xB adventure begins as well!

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
996 Posts
When you pull the intake valves, measure to see if they are longer than standard specifications, if so, the combustion chamber temperature was probably too hot. If the other cylinder's valves are in good condition, maybe the intake manifold has a vacuum leak on the number two cylinder. Need to confirm correct ECU operation, proper ignition timing, valve and valve seat angles for tuliping, other vacuum leaks, EGR system, fuel/air mixture.

What ever it turns out, I hope it is not too expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I initially planned to replace the engine.

The car had 289,000 miles on it, but was otherwise in quite good shape.

I decided to take it a step at a time.

Maybe I could just FIX it, save some money and learn about the car.

Worst case, I take the engine apart and conclude I need to replace the whole thing.

Upon disassembly, I was surprised with the condition, No signs of over heating or excess/unusual ware.

The Exhaust valves all looked well used up, on the valve faces, but the stems were in great shape,

to grind them would have reduced the margin too much.

All the cylinder walls looked consistent and as well as could be.

I decided to gamble on the fix.

I replaced all the exhaust valves and had the seats and intake valves ground.

I have about $300 in the "fix"

I'm quite happy with the way it runs.

The question is: how well will it work out as a daily driver.

Will it use oil excessively?

Will it nickle and dime me to death?

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
996 Posts
A. I have about $300 in the "fix".
B. Will it use oil excessively?
C. Will it nickle and dime me to death?
A. Super impressive win!
B. If you did not have the head milled, the compression ratio should not increase, and no change in oil consumption.
C. Only if you start modding; then it never ends. 😎

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did not surface or mill the head, it was Bitchen as it was.

It looked so good, I was tempted to reuse the head gasket! But didn't...

Having not even ridden in an xB, let alone driven one, the whole xB experience is new.

I have concluded the xB is a GREAT in town car!

On the FWY, not the best.

My car is quite Buzzy at higher RPMs.

And it tends to viberate at idle, in gear.

I'm suspicious of bad motor/trans mounts.

After installing a new battery, I hope to put on some miles and see how it goes, before more work on the car.

I DO plan to keep it as stock as I can, more or less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts