Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PREFACE: I'm new here, know very little about cars in general and am humbly presenting my tale in order to become better informed.

Only July 17, 2015, my 2005 XB engine died while I was driving. I towed the car to a Toyota dealer for service and was charged for a water pump, Toyota brand coolant, two drive belts and an oil change (total $527.58).

On August 20, 2015, car died engine died again while I was driving and took it back to Toyota. Their diagnostics showed "no coolant" in the vehicle, "filled radiator with water and pulled spark plugs to perform compression test. Found cylinder 2-4 filled with water/recommended replacing engine".

Toyota assumed no responsibility for their previous work as "none of the installed components failed" however my third party insurance company and another Toyota dealer performed an independent diagnostic and determined that the lack of coolant caused the engine head gasket to fail.

Based on this info, WTF should I do next?

·
Rescued RS 2.0
818 Posts
Sounds like a you blew a head gasket. That would explain the water in the cylinders.

I would argue that the work that was done was all about cooling, and even though "none of the installed components failed" they obviously failed to do the work necessary to correct the problem. So it could be argued contributory negligence on their part. So perhaps worthy of small claims court effort considering complete failure only about 30 days after they did their work.

You can buy a used good working engine for anywhere between $500 - $800. Labor to Remove and Replace (R&R) the engine I would guess about $500. So if you could get your $527.58 back, you'd could be half way to financially getting her back on the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts