Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st official mod not counting taillight install
wasnt that hard but it got easier as I did each one

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DON'T DO IT RIGHT GOOD LUCK :)

I definatly reccomend one of these
Magnifying Glass W/Clamps for Soldering

and some of this
Desoldering braid

With out these it makes for a hard time for sure

I followed the instructions in the DIY on SL

but i found a few tips to be useful
after using the desoldering braid i used rubbing 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean the area with a Q-tip

Before

After

it made for a cleaner look and connection I believe

Also if you burn the led plastic dont worry its not that bad I burned 2 out of the 4

The Biggest thing is you need to get all the solder off to do that i put the desoldering braid just above or below each LED and let it sit for a good minute or more (I was using a 30W iron) after a while the solder would begin to run dont stop there let it keep running (NOT onto the other contacts THATS BAD) until it is soaked up in the braid keep cutting and putting down fresh pieces of braid as not to re solder the solder you just took off onto the old solder.

After your just about done with top and bottom again use the braid and gently rock the iron back and forth till the led heads up and loses connection with the board (Be careful if it comes loose when your not ready your hot iron will move with the same force your applying to it and into the way of the other circuitry and even the plastic trip reset stick ( I nicked mine a few times :( )

Here are the after shots I got 1206 leds 220-330 mcd and there are no bright spots

It's even bright in the day!

Hope this Helps Someone

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Nice job. Looks great without any "brite" spots. I've been wanting to do this mod but have not had the time or remembered to buy the led's yet. Where did you end up buying your led's?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
sid said:
did anyone did that with blue led successfully with no bright spots?
if so, any part number on the led used?
thanks,
sid
Good question...any replies?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
We always use Alcohol and water mix to clean our PC boards here at compaq/hp. Just blow it off with air if you can.

Also use FLUX to help with desoldering and soldering, you can buy it at radio shack, it comes in a tube, beleive me it will help with flowing the solder. For desoldering insert the solder wick into the flux then put the wick on the place you want to desolder, it will smoke and suck the solder off the pad. clean with alcohol and water and solder new part on using flux.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts