Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, something is wrong, why am I not getting close to the gas mileage that many members are? I am looking at my trip and see that I am getting about 110 miles per half a tank. What is going on here?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Change your plugs...

How many miles are you at? I suffered some bad mpg (about 25), but changed my plugs yesterday and am back at the 30+ mark. I had 33000 miles on my odo....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one brave soul huh? Thanks for answering the post. I just bought the box. How many miles should I be getting a tank?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like the countless threads already about this topic.. stick/auto? how fast you drive? how hard you drive? traffic conditions? up hills? have you broken it in according to the manual?

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
i found that my mpg goes up more when u drive like a granny it all depends on your drivin habits on average i get around 285 miles on a tank. I would check the spark plug gap on the plugs some time there not gapped right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked a road test and they said they got 353 miles a tank full. I started driving like a granny on this tank so I will find out how many I get. The first tank only got 225 miles. I am hoping to get more. My box is an auto and I was not aware of a break-in period or the fact that maybe the factory gaps might not be right on the spark plugs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
drac151db said:
I checked a road test and they said they got 353 miles a tank full. I started driving like a granny on this tank so I will find out how many I get. The first tank only got 225 miles. I am hoping to get more. My box is an auto and I was not aware of a break-in period or the fact that maybe the factory gaps might not be right on the spark plugs.
yes there is a break in procedure, it's in the manual and you do about the same thing with any new motor you buy, i.e. truck, car, atv, bike. ect. I hear a lot of people say that it does nothing and it is a waste but they are just setting up the motor to not last as long. Just my .02 on that

as far as milage per tank I fill up as soon as my gage hits 1/4 tank and my odo trip meter says 300-330ish, but it aldepends on how and where you drive. I drive slow, I am in no hurry. Those that think the xB is a sports car and rev the piss out of it will see less MPG. I bought it for the small engine and drive it as such, low and slow :) So like said above it al depends on the driver's habits.

Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
gargamel said:
yes there is a break in procedure, it's in the manual and you do about the same thing with any new motor you buy, i.e. truck, car, atv, bike. ect. I hear a lot of people say that it does nothing and it is a waste but they are just setting up the motor to not last as long. Just my .02 on that
Indeed.. in fact, if you break it in correctly like the manual says - fluctuate speed levels, RPMs, different gears for stick, highways and country roads, etc - you'll get like gargamel's MPG. Kind of like warming up instead of blowing out your hamstring down the road..

Hell, I spent the full 1,500 miles of break-in doing it all.. and, with the 5% differential in the odometer (check the forum, don't ask), I've been getting close to 350+ miles a tank. That's even at 70 MPH, occasionally with the A/C.

Good luck with the new box!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am driving like granny now and people blow by me but I do not care, they don't pay my gas bills. Thanks, I just wanted to see what others thought about it, that is what all of us are here for, to help each other, right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
gargamel said:

as far as milage per tank I fill up as soon as my gage hits 1/4 tank and my odo trip meter says 300-330ish, but it aldepends on how and where you drive. I drive slow, I am in no hurry. Those that think the xB is a sports car and rev the piss out of it will see less MPG. I bought it for the small engine and drive it as such, low and slow :) So like said above it al depends on the driver's habits.

Cheers
Dude, you can pull a few loads on the motor (i.e. 5th gear and full pedal at low rpms) to break it in by helping seat the rings, but in reality, drive it and break it in like you want to drive it later.

I got 500 miles on mine and I wasn't bouncing it off the rev limiter afterwards, but I was very spirited when I drove it. I get 33mpg at 80 MPH on the freeway with the A/C blowing.

The break-in proceedure is listed for a safety issue and to not get Toyota sued over some lame dude who blew his motor up popping clutches and doing burnies everywhere the first day he brought it home...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Lizard1 said:
Dude, you can pull a few loads on the motor (i.e. 5th gear and full pedal at low rpms) to break it in by helping seat the rings, but in reality, drive it and break it in like you want to drive it later.

I got 500 miles on mine and I wasn't bouncing it off the rev limiter afterwards, but I was very spirited when I drove it. I get 33mpg at 80 MPH on the freeway with the A/C blowing.

The break-in proceedure is listed for a safety issue and to not get Toyota sued over some lame dude who blew his motor up popping clutches and doing burnies everywhere the first day he brought it home...
^^^^ good example of why I buy my cars new and not used.

I'll stick with my way since the last 3 cars I've had had over 350,000 each before I sold them and only thing I ever had to replace is stuff like starters, timing belt for preventive maintenance and alternators. I've never had to take in any car of mine for motor repairs, unlike other people. There is a reason for the break in period.
Probably why my race bike last twice as long as the people I race with :) Most get 2 seasons out of their motors while I get a consistent 4. So do what you want but I have proven to my self that it helps in the long run!

cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
gargamel said:

I'll stick with my way since the last 3 cars I've had had over 350,000 each before I sold them and only thing I ever had to replace is stuff like starters, timing belt for preventive maintenance and alternators. I've never had to take in any car of mine for motor repairs, unlike other people. There is a reason for the break in period.
Probably why my race bike last twice as long as the people I race with :) Most get 2 seasons out of their motors while I get a consistent 4. So do what you want but I have proven to my self that it helps in the long run!

cheers
So, the fact that I had 300,000 on my Powerstroke before I sold it to a buddy who put on 25,000 more BEFORE the first tranny replacement or the fact that NONE of my new bought cars had EVER had any failures.

You sound like because people break them in outside of what the manual say are hellions and disrespect what others say. The manual is a guideline - pure and simple. It is a guide for those people who need every step defined and to keep the lawyers at Toyota happy.

It's great you've got over 1 million miles out of three cars (Even if you drive more than me - I drive about 48k a year - it would take you 21 years to drive it all) although, i suspect that number is a bit inflated. If it isn't, cool. But there are plenty of us out here who have broken in a well designed and tight tolerance Japanese motor outside what the manual says.

By the way, even our race bikes only get a couple of hours on a dyno before we take them to the track. Then, at the track, it gets one day of open practice put on them before the motors are ready for full on race conditions.

And, before you use that race bike deal with me, we run PURE superstock and supersport engines and there isn't a single sole who puts what the manuals state for break in on them before they are raced. Also, I can almost guarantee I can give examples of high hours on a bottom end before disassembly.

Just because you drive efficiently and race cautiously doesn't mean others can't do it at the opposite end of the spectrum and still maintain well and do more maintenance than you probably do.

Don't be such a sour puss...

·
Registered
94 Posts
gargamel said:

cheers
By the way, if you actually race full on, you better not be getting 4 seasons out of a motor. That simply means you either are a track day guy or, if you do race, you are avoiding proper service needed on a race bike - even if the motor is pure stock. Valves, bottom end bearing, etc. are all service requiring pieces and require full tear down. Of course, non-superstock and supersport motors can last longer, but they certainly won't provide the needed performance required to race at a top club level, let alone a WERA National level or AMA level...

·
Registered
552 Posts
I race dirtbikes and ATV's B-class, I only race the dirtbike like twice a year or so and trail ride. The atv I race once a month and practice every weekend till it gets to cold and the tracks freeze and close. The point is not that I'm a hard core racer, I'm not. The point is everyone I race with and practice with at the mx track ride about the same time as me and mine lasts twice as long. I do proper break in and proper warm up on all my vehicles on or off road.

Anyways we can agree to disagree. I believe proper break in and regular maintence is very important!

cheers

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
25-27 here, I drive in town only. 1/4 mile to work.

Your second half of your gas tank will get you more mpg because the weight loss of the used gas. It's best to use as much gas as possible before refilling.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Padanky said:
25-27 here, I drive in town only. 1/4 mile to work.

Your second half of your gas tank will get you more mpg because the weight loss of the used gas. It's best to use as much gas as possible before refilling.

yeah yeah...... about the same here too.... I do lots of short trips a day, a real PITA but I do like driving the box!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
ocxb said:
yeah yeah...... about the same here too.... I do lots of short trips a day, a real PITA but I do like driving the box!

Dec. 16th my box will be 2yrs old with only 14k on it right now. Mobile One seems to help, well atleast I feel better about not letting it warm up before I get where I need to be.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.