Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to swap motors.. some say a SR20 redtop motor will fit in the scion xb.. but just looking for someone that knows if it will or not... Cause i can buy a motor for under 2g's but i dunno what else i would have to buy to make it work.... especially since i have a auto trans.. thanks.. Tim

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
search a bit. also, why the nissan motor in toyota? look 4age or 3gste (i think thats it) and see whats up there. things have been done! just gotta search it up.

scotty

·
Registered
552 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any motor that will be a direct bolt-in. Any motor swap will include some sort of custom fabrication work. Depending how much fab work you want to do will limit the motor choices. You can put any motor in there you want, I helped put a 350 chevy motor in a bug before (LOTS of custom work), it all comes down to how much $$$$ you have.

·
Hmmmmm
3,145 Posts
from what ive read the closest to a bolt in motor would be from a celics. forgot what year. Very little mod needed from what i read. But who knows if the guy that wrote it knew?..:confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
motor swap..

well if anyone know of any that will put out some hp and bolt prettyclose i will try it.. i have the $$ to do it just trying to get everything figured out first

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've also heard that an SR20 is possible in an xB but i personally wouldn't do it because it is a nissan :D.

my opinion on possible toyota engines:
4A-GE, specifically a later model 4A-GZE or silvertop/blacktop 20 valve
3S-GTE
1ZZ-FE
post 2002 2ZZ-GE (so you avoid the lift bolt problem)

hope this helps,
- Dustin

·
Dori Dori
360 Posts
well first off.. I love SR20s. They are great motors, I have two of them actually. I would NOT put one in a Toyota though, toyota makes plenty of great motors.

I was thinking of doing the same. I think the 3sgte would be great or the 4aze. Dont forget though.. your gonna have to do alot of splicing in the engine harness and ECU and stuff.

Definetly look into wiring before you even start pulling ur box motor.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Why not just swap bottom ends? Find yourself a 1NZ-FXE out of a Prius. It will bolt right in. You can even re-use your stock transmission. (Though I would see what I could do about beefing it up. Not much out there right now for that.) Then bolt your stock 1NZ-FE onto the FXE block. This should bump your compression from 10.5:1 to 12:1. Fill your motor mounts with some urethane while you are in there as well.

Add in the typical bolt ons (I/H/E) and then some stand alone engine management. If all goes well you should easily be pushing well over 135 hp naturally aspirated. And the largest part of the investment will be the engine management and tuning. Something you would have to do on top of your multi-thousand dollar swaps any way.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
well what motor with the least amount of custom fabing
Least amount of fabrication?:confused: Not possible. Hell, I'm still trying to find the 6MT swap I saw done in a Toyota Fun Cargo. Which is the same engine and trans combo. Well, even the same chassis. In the article, there was no mention of an engine swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe that the 268 hp fwd rav 4 v6 (dont know the disp) is 4" wider than the stock 1nzfe. Thats the one I am thinking about swapping. neeed the dough though. LOL

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why not just swap bottom ends? Find yourself a 1NZ-FXE out of a Prius. It will bolt right in. You can even re-use your stock transmission. (Though I would see what I could do about beefing it up. Not much out there right now for that.) Then bolt your stock 1NZ-FE onto the FXE block. This should bump your compression from 10.5:1 to 12:1. Fill your motor mounts with some urethane while you are in there as well.

Add in the typical bolt ons (I/H/E) and then some stand alone engine management. If all goes well you should easily be pushing well over 135 hp naturally aspirated. And the largest part of the investment will be the engine management and tuning. Something you would have to do on top of your multi-thousand dollar swaps any way.
That sounds like a god idea, but why would you need engine management? If you can reuse the original head from the xB than you can probably reuse all the sensors as well. And if you are using the xB cylinder head then you are using the xB fuel injection that the ECU already know how to run.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Least amount of fabrication?:confused: Not possible. Hell, I'm still trying to find the 6MT swap I saw done in a Toyota Fun Cargo. Which is the same engine and trans combo. Well, even the same chassis. In the article, there was no mention of an engine swap.
Jim, PM PumpkinBox (Jay) and talk to him. I know he has the 6-speed conversion on his ride :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
That sounds like a god idea, but why would you need engine management? If you can reuse the original head from the xB than you can probably reuse all the sensors as well. And if you are using the xB cylinder head then you are using the xB fuel injection that the ECU already know how to run.

Because the computer would go nuts trying to figure out how to handle the higher compression. It would probably freak out, rip it's self free from the engine bay, chase you down, slap you with the wiring harness pig tail and then escape off into the sunset. Then you would have no choice but to get some stand alone engine management. :)

Seriously though, I don't think the 12:1 compression ratio would keep the ecu within it's factory programmed operation tables. I don't think something as simple as a 5th injector controller would work either. If I were to do it, I'd be looking for good engine management and a GREAT tuner.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
4ag and 3sg are huge.

1zz supercharged or not , 2zz turbo charged or not.

both will fit just start saving and find a good shop. expect to spend 5,000 to 12,000

·
Registered
165 Posts

135 hp isn't worth an engine swap.

I don't know how tough the xB block is but can't you just do the classic ported high-flo heads (I KNOW that the xB heads don't flow well), a performance cam, and stroker combo?

Either that or forged pistons and a forged crankshaft using stock cubes and a turbo/supercharger.

At that point you don't even have the stock engine anymore (practically).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.