Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was watching the new and they say if you use syntheic oil ...bad spelling....

ok so they say you use the good oil it will increase your mpg by 3-5%

is it true. if it is im gonna switch over... but for now i need more infomation...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
When I converted my box to a synthetic there was a noticible difference in the 'feel' of the engine - a bit more 'relaxed' feeling - but very little change in actual MPG - maybe 5% at the most. That's well within the slop and error of MPG calculations, so I'm not going to suggest folks change for the increased milage.

I AM going to suggest changing to a decent synthetic, or at least a synthetic blend, for the long term health of your box. Your box will thank you. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can do longer intervals with synthetic, but the MPG are pretty much going to stay the same.

We did a 15,000 mile test using a Toyota oil filter & Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance on a 2003 Toyota Sienna. We sent the oil sample to Blackstone & they said that the oil was perfectly fine & even recommended pushing it to 18,000 miles, but we figured that 15,000 miles was more than enough.

Do you know how much money that saves while at the same time not causing damage to your motor?

( ^o^) <3

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, extended OCIs work well with synthetics, but as long as my box is under warranty I'll be following the manufacturer's required intervals...

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
What about switching to synthetic everyone once in awhile? Say go 2 oil changes then switch to synthetic then go back to regular?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tomas said:
Yeah, extended OCIs work well with synthetics, but as long as my box is under warranty I'll be following the manufacturer's required intervals...
I'm with you, Tomas. Even though the suggested interval for my driving (all highway) is 7500, I just couldn't bring myself to do that with dino oil. I feel ok doing it with full synthetic though.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Our shop actually runs a semi-synthetic oil in everything here. That is unless dino oil is specifically requested by the customer (or full synth for that matter).

Since that was the case, I really didn't notice much of a MPG increase when I went full synth.

Oh well, the Valvoline SynPower has treated me really well so far so I'll continue to run that!

-Alex

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
i dont know. i see cars rolling in everyday to TLE with 200000 miles who have never used synethics or anything. never an engine problem in there life. ill personally probably switch to full synethic, but its certainly not necessary for anything. guy had an echo today with 150000 on the clock (he travels for business) and i asked whats he done to his like 1nz, and he says he uses convential non-synethic motor oil, and had never had an issue. i think more importantly its how you drive for longevity, forget the oil. as long as its done at appropriate intervals, it shouldnt matter IMHO (until it gets high mileage. then id switch to high mileage oil).

scotty

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'd say 2%. But with these cars you need anything you can get your hands on. It's a performance thing. But as long as you keep up with your maintance, toyotas last a long time. I've pulled heads on 1mz's and 5vz as well as others with more than 150k and still seen the cross-hatch marks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.