Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help gettin more hp. I already have some things boostin it up like DC Sports exhaust system and headers, AEM cold air intake, also throwing a turbo and a small nos setup in. Anyone have any ideas how to boost it even more? i cant think of anything else that will help me i need some ideas thrown at me :)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Perrin Crank Pulley worked best for me.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
^^^^ yeah, what he said. also start unloading all that excess stuff in yo xB, like spare tire, windshield wiper resivor, jackstand, tools, switch to lighter wheels, Carbon Fiber the bonet, CF hatch w/ lexan, CF lip kit, CF Fenders, change the plugs (iridium), Perrin Fuel Rail, Weapon R Dampner, Super Charger (MOTORFX has one for sale. awesome price!) , lighter weight battery, and if you have a huge sub box, ditch those and run one of those slim sub box for under the driver, and pass seats.(less weight)

also ask hotxb05, he's into speed performance, he maybe able to help ya out bro.

·
Registered
131 Posts
short bus said:
head work ...................................
that wont do much for these cars unfortunately

·
Registered
214 Posts
Being i'm like hotbox05 (darren) and into performance, i might be able to help you out.

First off, you can't run a header with a turbo, you use a turbo manifold. Second of all, i would change out your exhaust for something else, because no offense to Dc sport exhaust owners, but they don't respond well to gains.

Most recommend cat-backs, although i use Jic and for an axle back, it responds very well. Dyno'd with my i/h/e set up at 96whp..Forgot to mention i'm an auto as well.

If you have a manual, i'd recommend first upgrading the clutch. Act and/or SPec is what i recommend, great clutch kits and i would go for a "stage 2" or "stage 2+/3" like darren has. The stock clutch slips after just i/h/e. Perrin/ZPI racing pulley would be another good step. Engine damper, 11:1 pistons, short shifter, weight reductions could all benefit you the most if you want to stick n/a. Don't let people say n/a is retarded on the xb, darren as well as others run mid-high 15's n/a. I autocross, but the few times i have dragged i've ran low 16's and one 15.98.

If you want to go boost, and stick with your i/h/e i'd recommend Greddy Supercharger. However, ZPIracing is coming out with a turbo kit for us that looks promising to be one of the cheapest, and best gains in terms of bolt on kit. So you might want to check that out as well.

If you have an automatic, unfortunately power mods aren't out there as much as manuals for n/a. Weight reduction comes in to play. If you want to go boost, greddy's kit works with auto's, and zpiracing will also have a kit i'm sure that will work.

If i knew more about what you are going for in terms of what kind of performance, i could probably help you out more.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i did the perrin crank pulley, nology hot wires, koyo aluminum radaitor, clutch masters stage 3 cluth and aluminum flywheel, greddt sp2 exhaust, perrin fuel rail and the power enterprise cam controller and i can now really feel the difference when you get in it...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
1LowXB said:
i did the perrin crank pulley, nology hot wires, koyo aluminum radaitor, clutch masters stage 3 cluth and aluminum flywheel, greddt sp2 exhaust, perrin fuel rail and the power enterprise cam controller and i can now really feel the difference when you get in it...
I was wondering about a LW flywheel on an xB. How does it affect the top speed and what are your rpm's at say 80 mph? I don't want to buy something like that and have it actually kill the economic value of the ride? I know that the minute you switch to a LW, it will def free up some of those hampsters......I mean pony:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
adding more juice and maximizing your hp and torque are great but if you got the xb to race much more than autocross, I say you got the wrong ride. mid to high 15 1/4 mi time is just that 15....I might have to see the slip on a n/a xb at that.
dont get me wrong I need more juice from my xb too, in an effort to stay out of third gear while Im in the mountains. if your looking for real speed you need at least eight cyl.imo. as far as I know I dont think any 6cyl have even ran less than 6sec 1/4mi

·
Registered
214 Posts
RAIDERBEAST said:
adding more juice and maximizing your hp and torque are great but if you got the xb to race much more than autocross, I say you got the wrong ride. mid to high 15 1/4 mi time is just that 15....I might have to see the slip on a n/a xb at that.
dont get me wrong I need more juice from my xb too, in an effort to stay out of third gear while Im in the mountains. if your looking for real speed you need at least eight cyl.imo. as far as I know I dont think any 6cyl have even ran less than 6sec 1/4mi
If you want speed, you don't need a 6cyl+. 4cyl now in days can make just as much power as a 8cyl on two build ups. Of course it cost more to build a 4cyl to equal that of a built 8cyl, but its not something impossible. I've seen a few H22's in shows and such with 700whp+, same with K20a's. I've also seen one B16B with 490whp. Now of course, you can well you can easily make that with a v8. Truth. On the other side, i'd love to see a street-ready v8 match the whp per liter as a 4cyl such as the examples above.

Now, in terms of the box. Its highly underestimated due to the fact, most people such as your self don't believe its possible to be fast in a car that looks like a box, small motor. But, keep in mind our aerodynamics are the same or slightly worse than a typical wagon. You will also note that this doesn't effect anything but restricting top speed.
I do agree though, autocross is where the heart of the xb is. I know from experience, so do others. :D But does that mean the box can't pull good 1/4 times? No. Majority of people have been under the assumption that it takes boost to make the 1nz powerful. Well, how many have actually tried a build up n/a on the box? None. Its a high compression motor, the design is more ideal for n/a build than a f/i build if you take into consideration of the design..Most small displacement motors are.

I have an auto xb (i autox) and i have i/h/e in terms of power mods, 96whp. With a test pipe, 109whp. Big numbers? No, but keep in mind the car is light. Same theory as a hatchback. 150whp on a civic hatch, you will be faster than 15's. 150whp on lets just say, camry. low 16's high 15's. Mid 15's at best. Its all about power to weight.
I have been dared by Scotty to build n/a, while an auto there has been two autos that i know that had 130whp+. Plus, thats all i'm looking for 120-130whp n/a and i'll be happy. Enough to make me very quick, and enough to pull even better times autocrossing...Would put me in a different class, but i've come 1st place more than 2nd or beyond in the current class. Back to 1/4, i've ran 15.98 with a stripped interior. With full interior, i'm around 16.4-16.6 1/4. Which, yeah isn't fast. But for 96whp you have to admit, it holds its own.

Moral? Try not to put down the box so much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wish I got my xB to the track...to far away though and not really worth the drive if you ask me. If you were running 15.8's I bet I coulda done mid to high 14's on about 10 psi

·
Registered
214 Posts
Simplyscion said:
I wish I got my xB to the track...to far away though and not really worth the drive if you ask me. If you were running 15.8's I bet I coulda done mid to high 14's on about 10 psi
15.98* and that is my fastest, with a stripped interior. I don't go to the drag strip much but yeah. You should have been at least low 15's with bad traction. My guess would be high 14 as an average if you actually went with the occasional mid 14. :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wasent putting down the box, I love this thing I got an 05 bsp 9mo ago just hit 15k worry free mi. this site only inspires me and makes me feel like a lazy a** oh yea I like the fuel economy too. I still say 15 1/4 mi is just that, no better no worse, weight to hp ratio is nice too. I have a 68 nova w/396, before I bored it and put in the cam it was 12.86. havent been to the track w/my car for a while. I like seeing the 4cyl cars at the Mile High Nationals. up here at altitude you can tack on about 1 sec on your time too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a 71 Nova with a lil ol' high compression 350/350. It was my first car and I still have it:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.