Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys i didnt have anything to do yesterday so me and another member(azztinthebox) worked on our boxs... on the 06 and up boxs there is a carbon filter in the top of your stock air box.... knocking down hp... we took that out and the piece behind it.... the piece behind the carbon filter looks like this... it is supose to block out stuff on the MAF... i havent had any problems with mine yet....

this just pulls right out...

after taking that out i removed the hose that goes from the bottom box up to behind the driver headlight.... the fan is pointing right into the air box... to remove the hose just take one bolt out...

it is a 10mm bolt...

and pull the side that goes into the air box right out...

looks completely stock...

i also tightened the throttle cable...

the end result is really nice... improves throttle response and makes a difference in performance... also make a deep mellow sound like a cold air through all rpm ranges... thought i would let yall know...

·
Registered
43 Posts
if your MAF get's dirty you can take a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol and gently clean the resistor's/wire elements. But if you break them, you'll be needing to buy another one! so be gentle guys!! she's ultra sensitive.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks... i also have the k&n drop in it has already caught so much more then the factory filter...

the reason i did this is cause it is clean and still is stock and has the same effect as a cold air...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i only use k&n i replace the stock one with it right after i get a vehicle... but thanks again...

·
Registered
974 Posts
You might as well put that plastic screen back in your MAF to protect it because it makes zero improvements in performance.

Now the carbon filter is a maybe.

If I was on a budget I'd just buy the $49.99 ebay special intake.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theres no MAF protector on those.. and i just like the stock clean look that is why i did it i was actually about to order a cold air....

·
Registered
165 Posts
be a little careful w/the K&N when you clean and re-oil it...some have been known to over oil it and it will mess up your MAF.
^^^I'm with stupid here.^^^

I have heard a ton of horror stories also about an oily MAF voiding warranties as well. Slightest problem with the engine and "Oop, musta been because your MAF is all oily!"

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have used K+N filters for years and have never oiled one. I clean it once and then simply replace it. Worth the extra cost to me as the clean and oil process is a pain IMO

·
Registered
325 Posts
its not that bad you rinse it out let it air dry and re oil lightly...
True but most of my applications the filter is visible. After cleaning and oiling they never look right (kinda brown) so new looks better as well. I have the oil and have done it but for the trouble I just waste a little cash a get a brand new one:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you work the oil right you can get it looking brand new. You just have to do it slowly and with multiple steps/applications.

How the hell much does a xB filter cost? The last I bought was $75 (for a Camaro) and I got a "good deal."

I went with a carbon fiber intake though, the clear intake was to much work to keep clean. Plus that was when I lived on a dusty ass road and the filter turned almost black within a month so there wasn't any point trying to keep it clean looking.

Can't really make fun of anyone for spending cash on making a filter look nice when I spent $160 on a intake LID, another $60 for a shiny smooth bellows, and then polishing a throttle body myself...

I just can't bring myself to pay $370 for a carbon fiber bellows for my Z06 and then another $375 for the matching carbon fiber intake either. Another $100 for throttle body polishing too.

So $50-$75 for a purty filter seems nominal when you compare it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The K+N filters I have used were between $35 and $55. I have not pricved the replacement for my Typhoon. I was able to get 20K or so miles between changes with a 10-12K dry cleaning.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea but i wantd rims and a drop first... and this works just as well as a cold air and looks stock... and clean...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.