Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know lots of you guys are using monroe shocks on the rear, what part number or model are you guys using... i tried looking around and all the places i went to has nothing for the box...
Please help, i want to lower my box soon and kinda want to change the shocks the same time so i dont need to get back to removing it again...

theres got to be something, or any other shock thats very affordable...

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thing is, on the US model (xB) they went with much stiffer springs and shocks than they used on the JDM (bB) version. The only problem is in the rear: the rear shocks are much too stiff for anything other than a fully loaded vehicle. Sad

Since only the rear shocks are too stiff, just replacing them actually does make sense. Front shocks (struts) are just fine as is.

The Monroe SensaTracs have a variable damping factor. In the center of their range (at rest at NORMAL ride height with the 5987s), the shocks have a much lower damping factor, and therefore are fairly easy to compress/expand for small quick movements.

As the shocks get farther away from their normal extension, the damping gets rapidly tighter, essentially mimicking the stiffness of the stock shocks.

If you have a lowered suspension, the ride height of your xB is no longer in the center of the 'normal' range of the SensaTracs, and you are defeating the engineering that went into the variable valving of the shock (the SensaTrac 'grooves').

So, the 5987s are ideal for an xB at OEM suspension height, but do not perform correctly if the vehicle has been lowered so that the shock is no longer 'centered' in it's operating range.

The shorter 5870s are not designed for this particular suspension, but are a good compromise shock for use when lowered - a 'mod' shock for a 'mod' suspension.

With a 1 1/2 - 2 inch drop, the shorter, heavier shock is a much closer match to the dynamics of the modified suspension, and will tend to match it's 'center' operating range to the suspension's better than the longer 5987 shock, which will alredy be in it's 'stiff' mode.

I hope that explanation helps explain why, especially with a variable damping shock, the shock only works right if the current ride height of the vehicle puts the shock in the middle of its 'soft' range while at rest.

At many places the easiest way to look up the Monroe's is by 'application'... The 5987s can be found as the rear shocks for the 2002 Toyota Echo, etc.

http://www.racepages.com/search.php?numsearch=5987

and the 5870s as the rear shocks for the various Corolla's, etc.

http://www.racepages.com/search.php?numsearch=5870

I think that covers most of it in the shortest possible space, other than tossing in one pic of what to do with the special, very thin hardened steel washer that comes with the 5987:

Tomas

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.. now in english please... :) haha, just playing...

thanx for the explanation...

but i prolly didnt make my post clear, i was actually asking for what model/part number are you using because i went to pepboys, kragen, autozone and everyone said that theres nothing for the xB... so i was hoping maybe if you can give me the model number it will make it easier for me to look for it... oh, and i also went on the monroe website and theres nothing for the xB 05 and up... i prolly just need to do more searching...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The shocks there upgrading with are from other vehicles not the xb thats why you wont find them in the auto parts store under scion XB. I will be trying out the Monroe 5870’s with my tanabe drop there cheap what the hell lol

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The two part numbers I repeated in the above (5987 and 5870) are the Monroe (and NAPA) part numbers, and I even gave links to some pages that showed which cars those two model numbers are designed for, for those places that can't just take a model number and run with it.

The Scion xB is not yet in Monroe's catalogs, so one WILL NOT find a replacement Monroe shock listed for the xB. The Scion xB rear chassis design is the same as the Toyota Echo sedan, with slightly stiffer springs.

I have a stock-height xB, so I use the Monroe 5987 shocks - perfect fit, excellent freeway shock for 'normal weight' wheel/tire combinations and normal ride height.

Where I bought my Monroes, they wanted to know "what car are they for" rather than "what part number" because their 'puter system would only let them find the shocks by car. :(

Above you have both.

I have absolutely no problem STRONGLY recommending the 5987s for stock height Scion xBs. For lowered xBs there IS no direct replacement, but others have said that the 5870 is a usable unit.

The other choice for aftermarket is a Koni shock at about three times the price. :eek:

Hope that helps!

Tomas:eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the 5870's and my passengers greatly appreciated the change.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Tomas...

thats what i thought it was that there is no shock replacement for the xB yet, well thats what my bro and friends also said coz they have a shop and had asked them to order me a set but then they get back saying that there are no shocks for the xB except Koni's which will cost me prolly 400 for a set...

thank you, now i know to ask for toyota echo shock or go for the 5870s...

thanks a bunch...

·
Scion God
541 Posts
xBx29xEF said:
Thank you Tomas...

thats what i thought it was that there is no shock replacement for the xB yet, well thats what my bro and friends also said coz they have a shop and had asked them to order me a set but then they get back saying that there are no shocks for the xB except Koni's which will cost me prolly 400 for a set...

thank you, now i know to ask for toyota echo shock or go for the 5870s...

thanks a bunch...
If you need a set of the monroes bro, ive got a brand new set in the garage... 25 bux and their gone!! Im in Anaheim!!

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kartel said:
If you need a set of the monroes bro, ive got a brand new set in the garage... 25 bux and their gone!! Im in Anaheim!!
damn, 25 for the pair? thats good deal but your a little too far... lets see... im in glendale/eagle rock and where in anaheim are you at? i will keep in touch and maybe i might head out there for something soon...

·
Scion God
541 Posts
xBx29xEF said:
damn, 25 for the pair? thats good deal but your a little too far... lets see... im in glendale/eagle rock and where in anaheim are you at? i will keep in touch and maybe i might head out there for something soon...
Im literally right across the street from Disneyland..

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PM sent Kartel...

·
mobbin
1,885 Posts
Tomas-you have some very good useful info. im running 5987s while dropped on Tanabe's. Should I switch over to the 5870s, and if so, will I notice a difference?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nick, I suspect you are running outside the normal range where the 5987 SensaTracs are happy, but I personally can't answer your question. Hopefully someone who has more experience with a dropped suspension and shorter aftermarket shocks will be able to answer. (Since I do not have personal experience with the 5870s on an xB I won't just toss out an answer 'cause it sounds good.)

The 5870s are NOT a direct substitute for the xB shocks, but they MAY be the suitable shock for a lowered box.

The honest answer is I have a personal opinion, but my public answer must be "I don't know." :)

Tomas

·
Registered
8,923 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
nnnickkk said:
Tomas-you have some very good useful info. im running 5987s while dropped on Tanabe's. Should I switch over to the 5870s, and if so, will I notice a difference?
hey nickk,
I you follow through on that, please post your observation. I really like to know whats the difference on both(length, dampning, etc.)

thanks,
sid

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
kartel said:
aw man, you should have sold them to me. lol

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so which year echo do i ask for? will this work for other brands? why does pep boys not have any in stock... im getting tired of looking for them...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.