Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanting to start on my interior, and the first step was going to be the floor. Is anyone out there making molded carpet kits for our xB? I'm looking for a one piece deal that is removable (not glued down), so it's still possible to get to the floor to add grounds,dynamat, and get to wiring when needed.

If these aren't available my first idea was to make my own carpet "kit". Thinking of making a fiberglass mold of the floor, cut the fiberglass mold in half down the center so you could fold it up into two halves for easily removing installing the mold, and gluing carpet down to the mold. This way you could have a removable carpet kit that is not glued to the cars floor.

If there's any trimmers out there, how easy is it to work with El Dorado carpet? With the aid of a steamer is it possible to form to the complex curves of the xB's floor, so you could do the floor in one piece?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I did a search at the most common places for carpet and so far they don't list the Scion category. Guess they figure it's too early for replacement.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never to early to replace something....what are they thinking :D . Wish I knew how to mold a carpet kit. It would sell pretty well with the Scion group.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's a little more complicated than that I believe. If the carpet is not molded to the shape of your floor than the carpet will not just shape around the complex curves of the floor. The tranny hump and the bars under the seat has way to many complex curves to just put over and form. That's why trimmers cut multiple pieces when doing custom carpet. It would look like pure crap if you were to just lay it down, try to shape it around, and bolt everything back in. If ,and this is a pretty big if, you were able to shape a one piece carpet to the floor it has to be glued down. There's no way it would just lay down without being glued, and I would still want to remove the carpet to be able to get to the floor to add grounds/ audio stuff. So gluing it straight to floor is not an option.

I've talked to a lot of trimmers, and been reading some really good books about car upholstery. Custom interior is something I've been trying to learn and good at lately. If you can prove me wrong about the carpet I welcome anykind of alternative methods.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatcha looking to do Heinz??? A chalk outline murder scene floor? :D

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
nah. LOL. just somethin simple that matches my interiors color scheme. if i find a good material besides carpet. that might do too. my gf does my upholstery/any sewing hehe.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tough part with using other material is that it'll have to be thick enough to take the wear and tear. Wouldn't want to be redoing the floor every 6 months or whatever. Suede and tweed are used in show/older cars often, but not sure how it would work on a daily driver.

Good deal on having your gf do all the sewing. That's what I'm working to get good at right now. Sucks though cause regular consumer sewing machines can't handle a lot of interior stuff. Need an industrial machine that can go through 3-4 layers of thick materials. Too expensive to buy, and haven't found anywhere to rent to the general public yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.