Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2 xBs and counting...
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my beautiful 2005 Polar White xB a couple of weeks ago. It is sluggish on acceleration and is generally loud. I've had an xB before, though, so I know this is par for the course.

On our 2004 xB we had a few years ago, we took it to a guy who fixed a leak in the hose. I figured it was either that or it needed new plugs.

I took it to the same mechanic for a check-up and he calls be back to tell me there's nothing he can do for this car, because it appears to be running just fine.

He said the following sensor codes went off:
  • Oxygen sensor code
  • Catalytic Converter code (because of O2 code)
  • Idle control code
  • ABS codes
He said none of these would really cause that sluggish/loud issue except the O2 code, which *might* help. To the tune of $412. He said other than that, it's totally fine and he doesn't know why I think it would be slow, because he said it drives great. :| He is going to clear the codes, and if they come back, and the car starts 'acting up', bring it back in.

So is this just a matter of opinion? Am I expecting too much out of my xB or are these codes something I should take care of?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I do not think the O2 sensor should be $412 to replace. I have driven mine for 7 years with the light on. Yes I get poor gas mileage and at this point am an idiot for not replacing it but it is not doing any damage to the car.

ABS codes are not something to ignore unless he just means the light is on.

Have the mechanic give you every code the car is showing and google them so you know for sure what they are. Sounds to me he just does not want to work on the car.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
I have no intention of buying it (especially since I'm currently unemployed). The lovely wife and I agreed getting one with a ragtop would be a nice weekend toy when the kids are grown.

Ford & Lincoln dealers bring a few cars for short test drives as fundraisers for different community organizations - this one was to benefit my son's robotics team. The sales guy who went with us said, "They told me to get a Mustang, so I went straight for the GT with the manual." Since they had no Mustangs at last year's fundraiser, we both jumped on it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a few mechanics tell me nothing was wrong with mine as well. I finally found a place that would listen and found the exhaust gasket was bad between the manifold and midpipe. They fixed it and it was good for awhile then it started getting louder again and more rattles. Went to a different shop they found that the exhaust was cracked due too worn out motor mounts. Fixed the exhaust and replaced the mounts, acceleration is much better and the exhaust is quieter but it still isn't as quiet as I think it should be. I would look into those two things and go from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts