Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
143000 miles bought it used should I change the transmission fluid and what weight should I use and how many quarts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
143000 miles bought it used should I change the transmission fluid and what weight should I use and how many quarts?
Don't don't don't change the fluid old fluid acts as a much better lubricant and the gears react better with old fluid. New fluid is If you've owned the car from new and you changed it every 60k miles- Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube "Transmission fluid change" everything you need to know. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Isn't that for automatic? Never heard that about manuals.

Our gearbox holds 2 quarts of good ole 75-90w gear oil. Easiest way to fill is from top. Have to remove air intake and then something off the top of gearbox then you can just use funnel to fill back up. There is thread for it on here somewhere with more detail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Isn't that for automatic? Never heard that about manuals.

Our gearbox holds 2 quarts of good ole 75-90w gear oil. Easiest way to fill is from top. Have to remove air intake and then something off the top of gearbox then you can just use funnel to fill back up. There is thread for it on here somewhere with more detail.

I stand corrected. Typically though Toyota's are fine up to 200k miles without a change. Typically. It's great that you're staying on top of maintenance!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bought my 5spd with 88k on it but did gear oil swap just so I know how it has been treated. Old stuff wasn't horrible but was definitely worth swapping. Dunno if po ever changed it. Doubting it.

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Micah Scion xB 5 speed
107 Posts
Don't don't don't change the fluid old fluid acts as a much better lubricant and the gears react better with old fluid. New fluid is If you've owned the car from new and you changed it every 60k miles- Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube "Transmission fluid change" everything you need to know. That's my opinion.
Scotty Kilmer is a joke. You can change manual gear oil. MT90 Redline will do a manual trans wonders for our boxes. Auto trans fluid is the one you don’t want to flush. No real car guy takes anything Kilmer days seriously. The guy has huffed too much brake dust.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Scotty Kilmer is a joke. You can change manual gear oil. MT90 Redline will do a manual trans wonders for our boxes. Auto trans fluid is the one you don’t want to flush. No real car guy takes anything Kilmer days seriously. The guy has huffed too much brake dust.
Well, he has four million followers and has been a mechanic 53 years- I guess you don't have to like him- my bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts