Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking about changing my gear oil soon on my 04 XB with 103,000 on it, and I was hoping to get some input. Whose done the fluid change themselves before? What kind of fluid would you recommend and why? Anytjing to be wary of? I've been reading some negative reviews of Royal purple? Also we need 2 quarts of 75w90 right?

Thanx!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Use any GL4 or GL5 75-90 gear oil you like. I like using Royal Purple, it's the best gear oil I've ever used.

·
NorCal - East Bay Area
1,454 Posts
Use any GL4 or GL5 75-90 gear oil you like. I like using Royal Purple, it's the best gear oil I've ever used.
I prefer using Red Line MT-90 75w90 gear oil (GL4). It's easier on the synchros than the GL5 (more sulfur in the GL5 that may react with the metals in the tranny). I've used Mobil 1 GL5 and several other brands and like the Redline GL4 best. I have less gear grinding and smoother shifting with the GL4. The GL5 made shifting harder and would grind gears a lot more than before.

---------- Post added 11-14-2011 at 10:54 AM ----------

BTW - 1.9 qts refer to this DIY http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24015

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see , thanks for the great info guys!

1.9 huh? if I accidentally over filled to 2.0 would that really be a problem?

·
Registered
360 Posts
One more bit of info to add is that I made the mistake of running GL-6 gear oil in the car, and I think it may have been the culprit in my first transmission failure; Shortly after I changed over to the GL-6 i noticed some noises coming from the transmission, then i noticed gears would grind, eventually the bearings on the input and counter-shaft failed and the gears locked up.

So yeah, GL-4 or GL-5 work fine, GL-6 is a baaaadddd idea for our transmissions! lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
The dealer keeps saying mine is not needing to be changed. I want to know what the average life for it is so I can factor in that expense because I have no idea how to DIY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.