Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am into canyon carving and want to try and make my 06 xb handle and not end up on its lid (lol) so lets hear what everyone thinks. i have tanabe df210 springs but have not put them on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ricksxbox said:
i am into canyon carving and want to try and make my 06 xb handle and not end up on its lid (lol) so lets hear what everyone thinks. i have tanabe df210 springs but have not put them on.

best handling..

coilovers, negative camber all 4 wheels. about 3 degrees is good. front and rear upper strut braces. lower braces, b and c pillar reinforcment, and wide tires.
about all i can thing of

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I only have Tein springs, and I think it handles great! Add a swaybar and you should be good to go. Front strut tower bar won't do anything but look cool, strut towers are part of the firewall.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have H&R Race springs, and a whiteline sway bar. I've yet to drive any car which has less body roll than mine, and that includes Porsche's, and Aston Martins.

the Whiteline swaybar is incredible.

oh btw, I can take the corners which tell you to go 15mph @ 40 mph. it's FUN!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I track my xb! I go to the Streets of Willow. My set up as of right now, it Trust DMR downmasters (super stiff compared to any coilover on the market) MOtor FX harness bar, Greddy strut bar, progress sway bar, -3 degrees camber in the front and -4 in the rear. I was used Falken ZE-512 on Saturbay the 8 over there and where not as sticky as my Yok Prada Spec 2's. THe car handles great out there. I took a S13 with just a SR20 swap coming out of the back bowl into a short straight. If you odnt belive me, you can contact bBist and ask hom im doing out there. The xB when set up correctly can hold its own out there and hang wit hthe big dogs. Its only problem is the power on the straights. Turning its good!

HERe are some pics of my last event a couple months ago.

And here is a pic of another xB with tanabe coilovers i belive and strutbar and under brace. Notice the difference in car stance in the same location on the track can do with how seting up your car can make a difference.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I can't see the pics. Which wheels do you use when you AutoX? Not your Garsons obviously.

I've been thinking of trying out some AutoX, once I get the chance to get some spair wheels and tires.

How did the strut bar affect your handling? Any chassis bracing?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Belive it or not, i used my Garson's out there. THey are heavy and they didny get damaged. THey did the job well! Everyone told me Im crazy lol. I need to buy some track wheels and tires. I dont have any chasis bracing. Thats what I wanna get next. The strut bar helps a little. Nothing much. Makes the car feel more together when turing. THe pics are from autoimportcraze.com. Hopefully others can see the pics.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
dont use the dr210's as they are too soft. go w/ a real coilover setup like jic ftla2s. follow that w/ a progress sway bar or if u want hotckis front and rear sway bar. front and rear strut bars would be nice and also frame bracing. also run some good tires. i might suggest for aggressive driving falken azenis rt615. thats what i use when i go out and play :D

for a more afforadable setup, substitute the coilovers for tokico adjustable shocks and a stiff spring that doesnt lower more than 1-1.25 inches.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks for all the info helps a lot. still cant see any pics lets try again really want to see your settup. some said something about pillar bracing can you tell me what these are. and is there a spring that lowers more than 1.5 in that will work till i can get a coilover settup. hay mattyrattypoo is the trust DMR downmaster a coilover and where can i check them out at. if you can email me some pic of you box at the track it might help me out on setting up my box. thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your top priority should be springs/coilovers and tires. After that, sway bars, strut bar, underchassis braces, and C-Pillar brace.

If you don't want to spend too much on coilovers, get the Tein Basic Damper (about $800.-). If you just want to use spring, you won't be able to handle the turns very well (you'll get a lot of roll and less traction).

A lowering spring is designed with a shorter height and a stiffer spring rating. Anything that lowers your car more than 1.5" is just for the look. When the spring is shorter than 1.5" compared to the stock's, the shocks are not allowed to function within the normal stroke it was designed for. The factory shock was designed for a length of stroke which was matched to the overall factory spring length.

This is why coilovers are so effective. The aftermarket coilover has a shorter spring with a shorter shaft/modified stroke in the shock. The spring of a coilover is designed for a certain geometry of suspension movement, vehicle ride height, and weight of the particular vehicle. The shocks of a coilover are shortened in overall length and valved for a certain load (to match the spring specs). This way the spring and shock of the coilover are matched for optimum handling.

Tires are something you want to consider. Without good tires, any suspension you get will not feel right. For the best tires for the price, get the Falken Azenis RT-615. Great treadware (200) and good heat range. Very stiff side wall so you feel less "sway" when turning. Closest roadrace tire you can get without going to race slicks.

Next on the list is sway bars. Sway bars are almost always a good thing. Just keep in mind that going thicker in diameter will cause the car to slightly understeer. Overall it will help you when you turn.

Strut bars, underchassis braces, and C-Pillar brace are last. Strut bar in the front will help stiffen the chassis. Also there are 2 point front lower tie bars, 4 point front lower chassis braces, and rear under chassis braces available to aid in suspension and frame stiffening.

The C-Pillar brace is meant stiffen the upper rear chassis. We (bBist) actually designed a C-Pillar brace back in 2003 because there was no means for a rear strut bar. So we came out with the next best thing for rear chassis bracing.

If you are just getting into road racing, auto-cross, etc, just get a good set of coilovers, or shocks/springs, and a good set of tires. There is absolutely no use in getting sway bars and everything else if you haven't learned where the limit of your car is. Once you can maximize what you have on your box, then move on to the sway bars, strut bars, and chassis braces.

I've been roadracing for 6 years and was the previous marketing director for Buddy Club USA (Suspension and performance company). I am currently the director of MOSCION (Scion Motion), we host road race practice days for Scion's. Our purpose of MOSCION is to help get Scion's on the track and help them set up their vehicles.

If you have any questions, you can always email us at:

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

-Steve :cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
thanks steve and matty this helps alot. i have done some roadracing in a camaro and in my s10 this is my fist time with a fwd thats y i have all these questions. so the more replys the better. what size wheel and tire setup do you suggest. i will be driving this on the street most of the time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.