Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just got back from Performance Muffler in Thousand Oaks, Ca. I had them install the following:

Magnaflow Resonator
Magnaflow Exhaust
2.25" Piping from the Cat-Back
3" Exhaust Tip

Although the system sounds really good - very deep and clean sounding. It's just WAY too loud for my taste. It kind of drones around 3K RPM. Power increase is slightly noticeable, especially passing in 4th and 5th gears. I have an Injen short-ram intake, as well.

How can I make it quieter? I'm thinking about having the Toyota factory resonator welded back on instead of the Magnaflow one. Does anyone know if this will quiet it down? If so, how much.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Don't swap anything! I have heard that's a SWEET setup, and you don't want to destroy the design! Just get yourself the dynamat extreme, maybe double layer it! I swear you'll barely hear it after you do that! PLUS it'll benefit your tunes. You won't have to turn it up as much to get that nice, clean and clear sound outta dat box!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the PM exhaust and at first it seemed loud to me. Especially compared to stock exhaust but after some time and RAMMat, its just right. I almost miss hearing it now. I wouldn't do anything but some sound deadening.

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
Not 100% sure but I didn't see a resonator # in that design set up. When I got my Magnaflow set up I told em I wanted sound but nothing that would make the cops heads turn 10 miles down the road. They put in a resonator and started it up and it was a bit too loud so they put another on and it sound just right. Think it's a #13. You might want to check with them to lower the volume a bit.

Also do try the dynamat... it does help a ton.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
They put an 18" magnaflow resonator on mine and it helped with the sound level. I wanted something quiet, but deeper sounding at the same time. Also the larger magnaflow muffler made for a camaro helps out too. part number 12266.

·
Registered
762 Posts
my magnaflow drones like a motherfcuker at 3k. it always has. i had it hard welded to a 2.25" custom cat back and an aftermarket resonator. its still loud and sexy at times and super quiet at others. i wish it was more agressive sounding but hey, not everything is meant to be seen, not heard! hahahha

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey everyone. I just got back from Performance Muffler in Thousand Oaks, Ca. I had them install the following:

Magnaflow Resonator
Magnaflow Exhaust
2.25" Piping from the Cat-Back
3" Exhaust Tip

Although the system sounds really good - very deep and clean sounding. It's just WAY too loud for my taste. It kind of drones around 3K RPM. Power increase is slightly noticeable, especially passing in 4th and 5th gears. I have an Injen short-ram intake, as well.

How can I make it quieter? I'm thinking about having the Toyota factory resonator welded back on instead of the Magnaflow one. Does anyone know if this will quiet it down? If so, how much.

Any help would be appreciated!
I have the entire Cat-Back System and its great good smooth deep throaty tone. I have the Fujita Intake too. Mine isnt loud at all.

This system has a 4 x 4 x 18" Resonator and a 6 x 6 x 14" Muffler. I havent had any complaints on my system that is installed on my Xb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I finally got around to installing Dynamat around the rear cargo area. It definately helped with the rattles and general road noise (not to mention, making my subwoofer sound waaaaay cleaner!) but it didn't help the droning as much as I had hoped - it really only lowered the drone by about 10%. Next up, replacing the resonator with something a little more quiet.

But all in all, I think it's the piping (2.25", as opposed to the stock 1.75") that is really making all the noise. But I'm crossing my fingers that a different resonator lowers the volume.

Thanks for the advice, all. Now, someone buy my wheels! http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f4/8711-fs-18-sportmax-961-wheels-falken/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.