Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, something did, not sure if it was the bulbs or not anymore...

Yup, as the subject says, Luminics fried my (left only) fog light housing. I was just too lazy the past 8 months to change the bulbs, and always just assumed the bulb was fried, well i pulled it out today to put in some silverstars and the bulb itself was intact and not fried, but the connectors were rusted over quite a bit...also, the housing itself was fried pretty well, So...advise please, how can i fix this?
Not the best picture, but as you can see, one end the plastic is no longer there, lol, not sure if you can see the rust/corrosion(whatever its called) in this picture..but yeah

aright, thanks

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
first off, this is no flame in anyways.

i had this happen to me too. i had my harness fried (drivers side. twice)
i love the "Titanium" bulbs and havnt really found other brands that can match the light output/intensity/dispersion/color and so on for the price.

i still have yellows, ultra violet, and half of the Titanium in me garage. after frying my harness twice with the bulbs, im just a little, and i say just a little dissapointed. like i said earlier, i like the output and etc. but not enough to see if it will fry it again.

i hope things work out as it should, because it always can be better. i always give myself and others, the benifit of doubt. :)

i believe that short_bus posted some info regards to this issue somewhere on this forum also.

·
Registered
165 Posts
:cool: WELL IF I MAY PUT MY 2 CENTS. IF ONE MELTED AND ONE DID NOT I WOULD HAVE TO SAY YOU FULT WOULD LIE IN THE CONECTION AND NOT THE BULB. I DELT IN 12VTS FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS AND THE FASTEST WAY TO A MELTED CONECTION IS A POOR CONECTION. IF THE CONECTION GETS DAMP, LOOS, OR RUSTED IT WILL STILL TRY AND WORK AND THUS CAUSING A SMALL SPARK. THIS CAUSES A LOT OF HEAT. SORT OF LIKE A FUSE HOLDER UNDER THE HOOD WHEN THEY INSTALED RONG.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:cool: WELL IF I MAY PUT MY 2 CENTS. IF ONE MELTED AND ONE DID NOT I WOULD HAVE TO SAY YOU FULT WOULD LIE IN THE CONECTION AND NOT THE BULB. I DELT IN 12VTS FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS AND THE FASTEST WAY TO A MELTED CONECTION IS A POOR CONECTION. IF THE CONECTION GETS DAMP, LOOS, OR RUSTED IT WILL STILL TRY AND WORK AND THUS CAUSING A SMALL SPARK. THIS CAUSES A LOT OF HEAT. SORT OF LIKE A FUSE HOLDER UNDER THE HOOD WHEN THEY INSTALED RONG.

not doubting you, you'er the pro on this. :) but luminics has a history of this, the bulbs are SUPER bright...but personally, i've had them fry my fuses 3 times completely...good thing the fuse only costs $2.00, lol, and i've heard of this happening quite often with his bulbs and the scion tc's....i dunno, anybody else have anything like this happen?

Thank you all for your input btw :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first off, this is no flame in anyways.

i had this happen to me too. i had my harness fried (drivers side. twice)
i love the "Titanium" bulbs and havnt really found other brands that can match the light output/intensity/dispersion/color and so on for the price.

i still have yellows, ultra violet, and half of the Titanium in me garage. after frying my harness twice with the bulbs, im just a little, and i say just a little dissapointed. like i said earlier, i like the output and etc. but not enough to see if it will fry it again.

i hope things work out as it should, because it always can be better. i always give myself and others, the benifit of doubt. :)

i believe that short_bus posted some info regards to this issue somewhere on this forum also.
Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to replace the fog light harness, and is it hard to install, does it need to be welded back on, or how's that work? I'm 100% n00b when it comes to anything electric....go figure, i can build a kick ass gaming pc, i just dont know wires, etc, lol
thanks

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**Bump**

How much will it cost me to replace the fog light harness? :)

Thank you,

·
Registered
199 Posts
ok I had the same thing happen with my foglight bulbs from luminics, I bought new pigtails for the foglights for like 3 bucks and autozone, and just cut off the fried one, and replaced it. as far as the bulbs causing it, I'm not sure, it was my driver side one that fried, and I noticed that the way it was set up, there was water collecting in the black wrap around the wiring leading up to the connector. So I blamed it on that causing moisture to get into the connector not the bulb. when I wired in the replacement pigtail I made sure that this wouldn't happen again, and this solved the problem...so far, now I'm running silverstars and absolutely love them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok I had the same thing happen with my foglight bulbs from luminics, I bought new pigtails for the foglights for like 3 bucks and autozone, and just cut off the fried one, and replaced it. as far as the bulbs causing it, I'm not sure, it was my driver side one that fried, and I noticed that the way it was set up, there was water collecting in the black wrap around the wiring leading up to the connector. So I blamed it on that causing moisture to get into the connector not the bulb. when I wired in the replacement pigtail I made sure that this wouldn't happen again, and this solved the problem...so far, now I'm running silverstars and absolutely love them.
Awesome, i just got silverstars, they're not as bright, but they're great so far! Do you by chance know the part # for the "pigtail", and was it hard to replace, did you have to weld the wires or anything?
I'm going to vegas tomorrow, so i'd like to do this today if i can...

Thank you! Please respond asappppppppp

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
not sure on a part number, I just went in and looked for pigtails that would match the bulb number 9005 or 9006 I don't remember right now, but the ones I picked up were actually rated for a little higher wattage than the stock ones, I just spliced it in using some automotive wire connectors. its just 2 wires, cut off the old one splice the new ones in.. i changed both sides just to be safe. I was running the jdm yellow from luminics, so the silverstars are WAY brighter for me.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
sorry havnt stopped by earlier to this post.
like what IAxB mention, you can purchase the harness at any auto parts store like kragen/schucks, autozone, pepboys (thats where i got mine. $5-10?), and the likes.

You can solder it, or crimp it with connector, or use the self crimmping connector (forgot what they callem) or twist tie for emergency.

its very straight basic. dont forget to disconnect battery before you start.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not sure on a part number, I just went in and looked for pigtails that would match the bulb number 9005 or 9006 I don't remember right now, but the ones I picked up were actually rated for a little higher wattage than the stock ones, I just spliced it in using some automotive wire connectors. its just 2 wires, cut off the old one splice the new ones in.. i changed both sides just to be safe. I was running the jdm yellow from luminics, so the silverstars are WAY brighter for me.
Cool cool, thanks for this response, and thanks to ThunderGod as well

I"ll see if i can swing by autozone and grab the 'piggy thing' and some wire connectors...

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So that piece i pictured, the brown thing, thats the harnes/pigtail...right?

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool thanks God 'o Thunder. :) I'll just need to buy some wire crimps and i should be set.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
be sure to put on some dialectric (sp?)(electrical sealant grease) on the plug first.
Would the auto place have that too?

Thanks,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same thing happened to me my driver side connector meled with halo bulbs which is gauranteed not to melt them......but it did.......So i bought new connectors and put hids no problem now.....I think its a factory issue....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
COOL i was able to replace it no problem. thanks for the tips guys. :) anyways,in vegas now so PEACE OUT! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.