Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got my wheels mounted today and i was wondering if anybody elses
lug caps poped off when they were tightinging the wheels to the car.
He probably over did it with the air can will this harm the rims?
just want to be safe thanks john

·
Registered
454 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem, however there is a little more info needed.

The lug nuts used were not one piece I assume cause that "popped off". There are many different types of lugs. The ones I believe you have have a chrome cap on them, correct? If this is the case yeah, no Problem.

Most shops don't do this, but with rims OEM or otherwise you are supposed to tighten them by hand to the specifications of the manufactures. The OEM rims I believe tighten to 76Nm, I usually use 80Nm with my rims and 76Nm with my OEM rims.
If you saw them put your rim on make sure they tightened the bolts in a cross patter to allow for more centering and even distribution of pressure. If the rim wasn't put on properly you might experience shaking at the steering wheel when driving at higher speeds, similar if not also due to a need tire balance.

Honestly I'm sure you'll be fine but I never know for sure until I actually see what is going on. . .(I don't read to well, lol)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure one piece or not i thought all were 1 piece and yes they are chrome. They are the ones from NLM where i got the wheels anyway
What i did was took off all the lugs one at a time inspected them and the wheel, i just think he over tightened them. they were alittle too tight,
Then i remounted them the way i would if i was changing my tires by hand.
i'm a finantic i go overthem two or three time to see if they are tight then i'm done been doing it this way for 25 years. not too tight not too loose
But let me tell you he had them tight i hate when they domthat i always check when i have to go and get them done by anybody but me.
cause they always get happy with the gun. thanks i just need four new lugs.

It shouldn't be a problem, however there is a little more info needed.

The lug nuts used were not one piece I assume cause that "popped off". There are many different types of lugs. The ones I believe you have have a chrome cap on them, correct? If this is the case yeah, no Problem.

Most shops don't do this, but with rims OEM or otherwise you are supposed to tighten them by hand to the specifications of the manufactures. The OEM rims I believe tighten to 76Nm, I usually use 80Nm with my rims and 76Nm with my OEM rims.
If you saw them put your rim on make sure they tightened the bolts in a cross patter to allow for more centering and even distribution of pressure. If the rim wasn't put on properly you might experience shaking at the steering wheel when driving at higher speeds, similar if not also due to a need tire balance.

Honestly I'm sure you'll be fine but I never know for sure until I actually see what is going on. . .(I don't read to well, lol)

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
Looks like your ok but myself I ask them to torque them by hand. They should be tourqued to 76 ft pounds. I have a tourque wrench and check mine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you get a torque wrench and make sure they are torqued right. I know what you mean about gun happy, most places don't even know that you're supposed to install and torque lugs with a torque wrench or equivalent. Most people don't even know what the torque specs are for most cars. . . that is why I use a computer. lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Like i said i been tightening my rims by hand for many years you dont need a torque wrench,And most poeple dont use them. and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you get a torque wrench and make sure they are torqued right. I know what you mean about gun happy, most places don't even know that you're supposed to install and torque lugs with a torque wrench or equivalent. Most people don't even know what the torque specs are for most cars. . . that is why I use a computer. lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WENT AND BOUGHT A TORQUE WRENCH TODAY $75 BUCKS AT SEARS CLICK TYPE 20-150 POUNDS DID THEM AT 80 POUNDS. DONE
THE PAMPHALLET THAT CAME WITH THE WHEELS SAID 70-80 POUNDS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts