Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to lower my ride, but have a few questions. What kind of springs give the closest to factory ride? How do you find the spring rate? Do I need a camber kit for the front? Do I need to do anything to the rear? (camber kit, shims, etc.) The reason I ask is, one of my Friends has a lowered jetta, and it rides like a tank. He also had to do a camber kit up front and shims in the back. I want to go 1.5" or so front and rear. I've been thinking about the Eibach Springs Pro-Kit what do you think?

Thanks

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
high

you can check here for the info on spring rates. and i bought eibach pro kit because it gives softer ride than stock till you get aggressive then the get significantly stiffer than stock. ;) the stock rates are fr-148 and rr-160
the eibach pro kit are a progressive rate spring and are fr-120-189 and
rr-69-211 softer at first then way stiffer than stock under load the drops are also listed :)

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50481

the wheel fit, rim size, and offset chosen will decide weather you need or want to run camber its a matter of taste and pocket book size. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can check here for the info on spring rates. and i bought eibach pro kit because it gives softer ride than stock till you get aggressive then the get significantly stiffer than stock. ;) the stock rates are fr-148 and rr-160
the eibach pro kit are a progressive rate spring and are fr-120-189 and
rr-69-211 softer at first then way stiffer than stock under load the drops are also listed :)

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50481

the wheel fit, rim size, and offset chosen will decide weather you need or want to run camber its a matter of taste and pocket book size. :)
Thanks for the link. Does the progressive rate keep it from bottoming out the suspention when you have a large load? (4-5 people)

·
Registered
869 Posts
dude, honestly 1.5" is not going to drop your car at all.... the xb is weird like that... its not like a honda... if you want it to "look" lowered go with the tanabe DF210's they are one of the best springs that they make for the xb.... they will lower your car 2.2" in the front and 2.0" in the rear... please trust me! i didnt see much change in the ride quality...it was about as smoothe as stock... the 1.5" drop wont give you the lowered look... i have the exact same car as you...same wheels and everything... i dont have any updated pics so my profile shows my box at stock height.... GO WITH TANABE......stay away from TRD sprins:cool:

·
AKA Black Box
322 Posts
Tanabes!!! I installed mine, easy to do, and looks great with a quality ride!!

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
if your not looking to go TOO LOW [that was so hard to say] you might look into the Tein H-Tech springs. they offer supurb ride quality and a moderate drop.

personally i have the Tanabe DF210s. aggressive drop and rides smoother than stock.

you wont have to run wheel spacers/shims unless you are running a very aggressive wheel like 18x9 with a crazy offset like +20 or something. if your going for a pretty standard size wheel from 15-mild18 you will be fine without. now the spacer-shims offer your wheel to come out of the closet and not be sucked into the back of your vehicle. a 10mm shim will put the wheel close to flush with the edge of the body line. which is what im running as well.
you can get a good quality shim from Keoki @ [email protected] for a VERY reasonable price. hope that helps any.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Progressive rate springs generally help stiffness at low loading. They tend to be softer riding over road uneveness.

You will not need any sort of camber plates or shims to lower 2" or less (using springs). You will need a wheel alignment to reset the toe in.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
thats what im saying^^^^^^

thanks TED
look at the chart on the link. Eibach makes 3 diff springs for the box

pro-kit (black) 1.5 fr/1.6rr 120-189fr/69-211rr

sport kit (red) 2.0 fr & rr 98-206fr/57-229rr

ground control 0-2.75 fr&rr (red) adjustable spring perches
the spring rates are chosen at time of order, custom

I'm not saying that all the other springs out there are any better but do they give a million mile warrenty? and the org poster was concerned about ride quality. with the eibachs i have i don't feel the road bumps any where as much as stock. there way smoother commuting around and when ya want the performance it is also there just get on it and it stiffens right up during both turns and breaking. I think they are worth the extra few bucks for the smooth ride especially if running 17's or bigger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with Eibach sport kit. A coworker has them on his civic and loves them. I was only going to go 1.5" lower .I was worried about clearance on rural Utah roads, but I got to thinking what's another .5". It's not like it's that much lower, and From what I've seen it makes a big difference in the look of the car. Thanks again for your info.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
$143 on intensescion.com

the eibachs are a good choice. i would like to get those if i ever decide to give up my Tanabes

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just ordered the Eibach's. I will be ordering the Koni yellow's (all around) to go with them next. I don't wan to be lowered so much as I want a nice ride. I have seen the Eibach's on a few xB's and they look perfect for my taste.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
sweet its like a pearl yeller.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.