Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,610 Posts
1st gen or 2nd gen? Personally I prefer BC Racing but opinions vary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone run bags? I've heard they are the best for comfort but you lose handling. I would like to confirm with someone that has actually used them.

·
Registered
2005 Scion xB Gen 1
11 Posts
Just got BC Racing series put on a few days ago, very reputable company and quality parts. So far I have no complaints!

·
1,610 Posts
Has anyone run bags? I've heard they are the best for comfort but you lose handling. I would like to confirm with someone that has actually used them.
I run bags on my BC coil overs and definitely haven't lost any handling. It does matter how you set the suspension up in terms of dampening, ride height and what type of bag you are using.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run bags on my BC coil overs and definitely haven't lost any handling. It does matter how you set the suspension up in terms of dampening, ride height and what type of bag you are using.
Looking to keep close to stock ride height. I ride this for work and not trying to takes speed bumps at an angle haha. Mind if I ask what your system ran you? Trying to save up an estimated cost for when I'm ready. My mechanic said I'm running original shocks soooo yeah probably going to be sooner than later. Haha

·
1,610 Posts
Looking to keep close to stock ride height. I ride this for work and not trying to takes speed bumps at an angle haha. Mind if I ask what your system ran you? Trying to save up an estimated cost for when I'm ready. My mechanic said I'm running original shocks soooo yeah probably going to be sooner than later. Haha
If you are wanting stock height then coil overs are probably not for you. Even cranked all the way up BC drop the car 2 inches. For mine I put sleeve bags on then in place of the springs and have the struts adjusted most of the way down. As for cost, DO NOT use mine as a cost estimate, I over build things. I did both the front and rear for cheap, about $1000 for the bags, brackets and the parts from BC that I needed to build the front struts for air. Control system, compressor, tanks and hard lines added another $8-900. Then I have another $500 in fittings and $150 in little miscellaneous parts. Labor was free since I did it all myself. If I had paid for it the labor would probably have been $2-3000 because of all the hardline work and fabrication of most everything. Oh and there is my modified rear beam axle. If I had paid for that to be done my welder says he would have charged between $800-1000 for it.

That said I have a reasonably comfortable ride, especially when aired down for my ride height. The last two pictures below are for comparison. First is what I consider a high ride height. Just clears most speed bumps and doesn't bottom out easily, Second if fully aired out and sitting on the rear wheels so it's not drivable. i normally ride about 3/4" lower than the first picture. The front can go lower but I choose not to as it keeps it smooth riding at ride height, also keeps it even with the rear

Motor vehicle Office supplies Office equipment Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Cable

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Tire

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
1,610 Posts
Put the wrong picture in that last group. The last shot was fully aired out before I tweaked things a bit. This is the current fully aired height.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
23 Posts
😳wow. Yeah that's a lot that goes into it. I am pretty handle bit don't have machining tools. May be a bit more that I can chew right now hahah

·
1,610 Posts
😳wow. Yeah that's a lot that goes into it. I am pretty handle bit don't have machining tools. May be a bit more that I can chew right now hahah
None of it took machining tools. Regular air ride can be installed with a solid set of basic sockets and wrenches and decent knowledge of how to work on a car's suspension and electrical system. I did what I did because I could and I'm slightly nuts. This was my second go around and I already had a garage full of tools for both automotive and wood working. This was also my second go around. First time I did a bolt up system from Air Lift and it was much simpler looking and to install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts