Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cold start , I receive the blue " low coolant" light . Goes away after car has warmed up. Does not come back on until another cold start ( mostly ) .

Radiator is full. Reservoir was initially was not , now is and has not moved from full.

xB doesn't go over 204f , fan kicks on at 204f and climbs down to 195f .

Which sensor determines coolant level? Is that the Coolant temperature sensors job as well?

I believe coolant was coming from the waterpump weep hole at one point or still is , although last 50 miles I have not lost a drop of coolant .

Thanks in advance xB friends .

06' xB 170k . 5spd .

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
I think - but do not know - that there is only one coolant sensor in the firstgens.

Hearing that there's a weep hole in the water pump actually makes me happy. That may be where I'm losing coolant from in my overheating box. I still need to dig in and diagnose what's going on with it, I miss driving it around. (Except on very short trips, which I do several times a week)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
coolant temp but not level.....although the red temp light probably means you're low but it is reactive sensor, not a proactive one like a level sensor or an actual temperature gauge.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,196 Posts
I am not aware of a coolant level sensor in the gen 1 xB other than the driver opening the hood and looking........
Yes sir, the opaque reservoir on the passenger driver side of the engine compartment is the proper place to check coolant level and should be performed when the engine is cold. Correct level is between the Full and the Low indicator marks. If the coolant level is below the Low indicator mark add enough coolant to raise the level to the Full indicator mark.

coolant temp but not level.....although the red temp light probably means you're low but it is reactive sensor, not a proactive one like a level sensor or an actual temperature gauge.
Absolutely! Red equals a bad coolant status.
The blue light will be present until the engine attains the correct operating temperature range for maximum efficiency of emissions. The Overdrive is disabled, and the transaxle will not shift into high until reaching that range and the blue light turns off. This procedure warms the engine up faster to minimize emissions. Takes longer to extinguish the blue light in colder weather.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes sir, the opaque reservoir on the passenger side of the engine compartment is the proper place to check coolant level and should be performed when the engine is cold. Correct level is between the Full and the Low indicator marks. If the coolant level is below the Low indicator mark add enough coolant to raise the level to the Full indicator mark.

Absolutely! Red equals a bad coolant status.
The blue light will be present until the engine attains the correct operating temperature range for maximum efficiency of emissions. The Overdrive is disabled, and the transaxle will not shift into high until reaching that range and the blue light turns off. This procedure warms the engine up faster to minimize emissions. Takes longer to extinguish the blue light in colder weather.
Did you move your coolant tank or are we talking about another car? or AT thing? Mine is attached to fan housing kinda towards driver side....

Not sure what all the OD stuff means.......MT is always ready........but yeah😁

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,196 Posts
Did you move your coolant tank or are we talking about another car? or AT thing? Mine is attached to fan housing kinda towards driver side.... Not sure what all the OD stuff means.......MT is always ready........but yeah😁
I was wrong and you are right. I misstated the location of the xB's coolant reservoir. My earlier post has been edited with the correct location of the reservoir. I do not mind being dumb, but my preference is not to demonstrate it so vividly and publicly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When cold start , I receive the blue " low coolant" light . Goes away after car has warmed up. Does not come back on until another cold start ( mostly ) .

Radiator is full. Reservoir was initially was not , now is and has not moved from full.

xB doesn't go over 204f , fan kicks on at 204f and climbs down to 195f .

Which sensor determines coolant level? Is that the Coolant temperature sensors job as well?

I believe coolant was coming from the waterpump weep hole at one point or still is , although last 50 miles I have not lost a drop of coolant .

Thanks in advance xB friends .

06' xB 170k . 5spd .
Ummm... You ARE joking right? Since this is not April 1st I think you should read the owners Manual. The"Blue Temp Light" is telling you that the engine is COLD and will not shift into high gear until warm. That's all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think - but do not know - that there is only one coolant sensor in the firstgens.

Hearing that there's a weep hole in the water pump actually makes me happy. That may be where I'm losing coolant from in my overheating box. I still need to dig in and diagnose what's going on with it, I miss driving it around. (Except on very short trips, which I do several times a week)
What temps is your xB running ?

When driving I'm at 185-195f .
When idle , Fan kicks on at 204f and climbs down to 198f pretty quickly. ( I purchased a Bluetooth odb2 diagnostic tool to retrieve these temps)

Alright so blue is good ( needs to warm up ) red is bad 🤔 sounds right .

Owners manual stated low coolant temp ....
Font Material property Book Publication Paper

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,196 Posts
Well done hightech! This is one of the xB nuances few people know about until there is in inquiry. I respect your tenacity in digging into the issue and getting your answer. Thank you for the temperature reading data from the Bluetooth device. Is that a standalone reader or is it through a smart phone?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
What temps is your xB running ?
Currently it overheats if I drive more than 5~10 minutes. I'm only using for short commutes to & from local restaurants to grab dinner or whatever. I miss it being my daily driver.

Having said that, there are no stable temps that I'm seeing with it. It just slowly climbs until it hits 220 or above if I'm out too long. Gotta solve this mystery, but right now it's extremely hot outside, so I've been dragging butt on diagnosing it.

My Honda Passport I'm using as a DD stays right around 190, though. Which is nice. And that's running a/c at full blast in our horrible monsoon season weather. I hate driving it because it only gets half the MPG that our toasters pull.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
my torque app with bluetooth obdii gets same readings...fan on at 204, runs maybe a minute or so then cuts off around 196

mine will go into high gear without starting, started with blue light on, no temp light on, driving, coasting, idling or whenever I feel like it.....but high gear is a 5, wish it had a 6 tho

1 - 12 of 12 Posts