Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been hearing a loud rattling noise coming from under the rear of the car. cant seem to pinpoint it because its so loud. sounds like something metal is hitting metal. it only seems to make the rattling sound at low rpm though when the exhaust is at its deepest note around 2000 rpm.

any one know what this might be?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well I have one, but it is comming from the handle on the back hatch door. If you look one side is usually a little loose. (Left side) Look for this first though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
^^^ you might want to check that also. I had the same issue but took panel off back door and tightened it up.. doesnt rattle anymore

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
i have that same problem. i think it's from my exhaust pipe. i only hear it when i have someone sitting in the rear right of my box.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I had the time issue. When I installed my TRD exhaust I got a little rattle noise. I noticed that my exhaust wasn't sitting center to the cut out (Ted remember I pointed that out to you when I picked something up from your house). It was the exahaust hangers not sitting correctly and would tap against the car underbody since the exhaust had allot of movement.

When I got rear ended I had the shop take a look and they realigned it and rattle is no longer there.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i remember kenny. when did u get rear ended? that i dont remember.
like a week after I meet up with you. I was rear ended heading home from work.

Damage wasn't too bad.. They replaced my rear bumper and and repainted.. He was only traveling about 10mph in stop and go traffic.. about $1k in total repairs.

Lucky there was no frame damage and also he miss my hatch completely.. He impacted the bumper only...

·
Registered
140 Posts
im not sure if the xbs have thin metal heat shields around the exhaust pipe, but from vvibration, i know they can come loose and rattle around a lot

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
It's most likely the aftermarket exhaust hitting the underside of the car. I noticed there's a 'towing' bracket that mine was hitting until it was reseated.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I took mine off, one of the benefits of running a bullet type muffler, it sits far enough away from the underside.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i checked the heatshield while i was under the car wiggled it around and checked to see if any parts were touching the muffler and it was clear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no i dropped it off at the dealership in the morning and told them to check it out and after a whole day of looking at it they charged me 25 bucks for changing my windshield wipers and then told me they cant hear any rattling.

they said they took off the wheel and everything was ok under there nothing they could was wrong with it. minute i drive out of the dealership it rattles again. i'm thinking i dropped off my car and wasted the first day off from work in 3 weeks for them to change my windshield wipers then leave the car somewhere till i picked it up.

if i put the parking brake on and put it in D and rev to 2000 rpm the rattle is extremely loud so i'm guessing they didnt even look at it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, I just started to have a slight rattle in the rear by the hatch area again... Checked under the car and wasn't there.. the sound is from inside the car so I have something rattling now...

I need to pull the rear apart and tighten everything I can possibly think of and see what happens...

I think its from the spare tire area.. Have you checked is your spare is tightly secured down???

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
weird, i have the rattling sound coming from the rear too! but, i believe mine is coming from the rear right seat. the reason i said that is that when the seat is up (not folded), rattling sound starts when i go over bumps especially on the freeway. when the rear seats are folded, the rattling sound is gone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.