Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone - i've been reading the forum for the past couple of weeks and i have decided to look into picking up an '06 before they're all gone.

that said, i have some questions that i'd like your advice on:

1. is it better to buy a stock box and buy the mods from non-dealers? (my plan is to put an exhaust and intake on the car within the first couple of weeks of owning the car - any recommendations that will not kick my butt once smog-time comes into play?)

2. should i have the mods installed by the dealer, or does anyone in SF/bay area recommend a shop that does great work and are reasonable?

3. will adding the mods affect the warranty (i've read through them, and they are not very comprehensive (at least not as comprehensive as BMW's)

4. i'm also thinking about replacing the stock wheels - what offset should i be looking at (would rather not use spacers, but will if need be)? and how wide can i go without having to roll the fenders?

as you can probably tell, i'm pretty fired up and appreciate you help and any other advice you might have for me.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
1. yes, the only thing that I would recomend would be cruise control

2. Shop or yourself. Most of these mods are easy enough for you to do and you can find alot of help from these "experts" around here

3. Well no they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the mod you did caused the failure. There are extents to everything a turbo probably will.

4. The rear is narrower than the front, so unless you want to have two different sets they will be necessary (factory is 42 correct me if I am wrong).

Have fun, that is what these cars are about and good luck. Ohh and not to forget WELCOME!

·
Registered
379 Posts
1. buy stock, the dealer parts are way expensive and can easily be bought for half the price from alot of places

2. The dealer will bend you over the counter for install prices

3.not unless you go FI really

4. An 8" wide wheel with a +15 offset seems to fit as flush as you can get without rubbing or having to roll fenders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not really advice, but a comment. I bought my 05 a few weeks ago from the local dealer and it was pretty well "stripped down." It had no dealer installed options, and I'm really glad. This way, I have a blank canvas (literally, my box is polar white) that I can do anything I want to it.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
yea if the dealer has factory options on the vehicle already, leave them there. I wanted the blank canvas type but my car had the little spoiler and the rear bumper applique, and the cargo mat and thing. when asking if these could be removed and the price dropped. they said "we can remover the items but youd still be paying the same price"

so if you like those items and choose to replace them with aftermarker, you can sell the stock ones or trade or whatever. Just MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks - test driving new xb's today and will hopefully have a good experience.

in addition to new, i found a local dealer selling an 06 with under 5k on it for 13.8K is that a fair price, are there anything quirky things i should look for (if i end up checking it out)?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Always run a carfax on any used veh.

but that price is in the ballpark for the miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.