Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my springs this week. I am looking for someone to help me install them. I have a rough idea how to do it but not 100% sure. I mostly want someone to watch me and give me some words of encouragement:D

Thanks

·
Real Friends > Car Clubs
1,932 Posts
Check out the guys from Scikotics. I am sure they will have no problem helping you install your springs. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
The xB is one of the easiest spring swaps I have ever done. Don't be scared to do this yourself and save some money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am definitely looking to do them myself. The rears won't be a problem. I am just worried about the front.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The fronts are so simple.....

1. go to a parts store and rent or buy a spring compressor.
2. jack up front of xB
3. remove front wheels
4. remove two bolts from bottom of strut, these bolts fasten the strut to the front spindles
5. unbolt brake line clup from strut body
6. remove 3 nuts from the strut tower under the hood, have a friend ready to catch the strut because it will fall out after you remove the last nut

It's really simple. I didn't write this out to try and make you feel stupid or anything, it is really just that simple.

You need the spring compressor tool the pull in your stock springs before undoing the nut on the end of the strut. You will not need the compressor to install the new springs because they are short enough to install the start bearing without compressing the spring.

Then just make sure to get an alignment once you are done.

Good luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont know how close to Chicago you are but I live in dekalb (about an hour outside of chicago) if you want to drive out we can do it out at my garage if you want.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats cool you didn't make me feel stupid. I just don't have the confidence to tackle the job by myself and would like someone with some experience to sort of be there if I run into some problems.

xbman-Thanks for the offer that was cool of you

The fronts are so simple.....

1. go to a parts store and rent or buy a spring compressor.
2. jack up front of xB
3. remove front wheels
4. remove two bolts from bottom of strut, these bolts fasten the strut to the front spindles
5. unbolt brake line clup from strut body
6. remove 3 nuts from the strut tower under the hood, have a friend ready to catch the strut because it will fall out after you remove the last nut

It's really simple. I didn't write this out to try and make you feel stupid or anything, it is really just that simple.

You need the spring compressor tool the pull in your stock springs before undoing the nut on the end of the strut. You will not need the compressor to install the new springs because they are short enough to install the start bearing without compressing the spring.

Then just make sure to get an alignment once you are done.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I be willing to take a road trip to chicago for the weekend to help out if you havent already got these on.... I didnt even need a spring compressor for mine either... Im running the Tanabe df210

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot but there is no way I could have you drive here to put springs on. Its a pretty long drive. I remember driving to St. Louis to buy a snake from someone. I think I have someone to help me I just need to call him. But, if that falls through I will take a trip to St. Louis. Once again thanks that is very cool of you to offer that.

I be willing to take a road trip to chicago for the weekend to help out if you havent already got these on.... I didnt even need a spring compressor for mine either... Im running the Tanabe df210

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
it's so easy to do. i've never done it myself before but it was DONE. took a couple hours coz i was lookin for the lost the key to my wheel locks, and of course it was right under our noses. it's way faster if you have somebody help ya. got the info fron an SL post. rear spring took 5-10 mins, front an hour.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
yea i have the Tanabe DF210s and i did them last week. its was amazingly simple. I wanted to have someone there to help me but i deffinately could have done it my self. i used the spring compressor on the stock springs just for safety issues. but i recon it wasnt really required. good luck to you sir.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a worry wart. I always think what if something goes wrong. I am mostly worried about the front. I think I will be doing 70 down a highway and the whole front end will fall off. Thats the way I am. Hotboxn is cool enough to lend me a hand. I plan on doing the work just want someone there to make sure its going in right.

Thanks again Hotboxn for helping me.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
*singing* ...and thats what friends are forrrrrrrr...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts