Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, how's it going? So over the past few months I've been looking to get a 3rd vehicle as a commuter. My other 2 are jeeps a WJ and a MJ, my MJ is not running and will be a long term project the WJ is fully built but guzzles gas as it's a lifted V8. In my search I've started to narrow down some options and the xB seems to come to the top of my list every time. I wanted to gather some feedback about certain things for those that may know.

Here's my questions about a xB in general

-Car seats. Currently have a 3yo and will be adding another ankle bitter to the mix in a few months. So how easy is it to get two seats in the back and still be comfortable for the adults? One seat will be rear facing other forward facing. I'm taller at 6'1" but my wife is shorter. I just don't want to be up in the dash to make it fit.

-Power wise, how is it going over hills? I live up in the mountains in CO, so elevation 7-9K and mountain passes= 4cyl killer. I'm not looking to blast up the hill doing 90, but I'm hoping it to not be patting the dash muttering words of encouragement to make it. I also want to consider a manual because of the extra gear and not deal with constant downshifting. I also love a 3rd pedal.

-MPG's what are you seeing really? I'm coming from 15 avg and have to use premium so even 20 on regular is a bonus. From looking around seem like 20ish city and 30ish highway

-Road trip comfort, my wife has a GX460 that we really prefer as the family hauler but sometimes it would be nice to not put miles on that and also get better MPG.How are the seats for long trips and just general driveabilty?

-1st gen or 2nd gen, I know this is a somewhat a matter of taste and peoples feeling about 2nd gen. Beyond the basic ascetics and few other things what would you choose and why? I'm personally leaning towards 2nd gen because of the bigger engine, newer (I seriously don't need any more 15+ year old vehicles) few more standard safety options. I also prefer the look over 1st gen's.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My son has my 05 xB. Also a 3 and a 1 year old. Plenty of room with both carseats. I have a 2010 xB. Carseats fit fine as well. Because of your elevation I would probably recommend the 2nd gen xB. 2011 or newer, because Toyota had an issue with some of the earlier ones burning some oil. Unless you find one that Toyota replaced the pistons and rings.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,460 Posts
I've got an 08 and fit two car seats in it fine years ago. I'm 6'3" for reference and still was able to get my seat all the way back. As for mileage the 1st gen is better by far. I average 22-23 MPG with mixed city/hwy. Could provably get better but I have lots of mods and a heavy right foot. In terms of power at elevation the 2nd gen wins hands down. I couldn't stand driving a 1st gen at sea level, son't even want to think about what you elevation will do to the power level in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the info. So 2nd gen 2011 or newer would be ideal.

What about general driving comfort? I understand this is sort of a discretionary piece but just interested to hear.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I like the 2nd gen seats. Wife likes the 1st gen seats better. Says they don’t bother her back as much. It’s really personal preference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We've had 2 2005's in the family. one was sold locally and we still see it once in awhile: neither ever had repairs, only oil change, tires, brakes. We now have a 2012, bought new, no repairs. We average 20 MPG with only occasional highway driving; we get over 25 on the highway. Longest drive has only been a couple of hours. Comfortable enough but noisier than a big sedan due to tire and wind noise.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
912 Posts
Car seats: Comfortable fit for the grandchildren. Two year old's seat faces the back, and five year old's seat faces the front. Full room up front for both occupants.

Power: More than adequate for secondary and tertiary roads; acceptable and safe for the highway and the Interstates.

Hills: I can easily maintain 70 MPH in the xB ascending the 4% grade of I-24 West at Monteagle Mountain, TN. With more effort I can maintain 60 MPH ascending the 6% grade of I-24 East. For legal clarification, I have not, do not, and never will travel at these speeds as the speed limit is 45 MPH. Just saying.

Both Vail's 7% west grade and Pikes Peak's 11% spiral ascent grade would require more of the xB. Descending Pikes Peak's inverse 11% spiral grade, may the brakes be with you, always.

Manual Transaxle: The automatic has a lower final drive ratio than the manual and achieves higher MPG as a result.

MPG: I routinely get 29 MPG in the city and 36 MPG on the Interstates.

Road Trip Comfort: During some eleven hour Interstate trips in my 2005 xB, the driver's seat has about a four hour time limit until I need to exit and let the blood flow in the legs again. I have what the airline industry calls a "two-ticket posterior", so that factors in. After switching to leather seats, the firmer cushion helped with the comfort.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had booster seat on left and right side and full car seat in the middle in my old Gen1. When you closed the doors it was snug, lol

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I averaged 30.8 between city and hwy. Seats was from FR-S because the OEM ones had no lumbar support for "my" back.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts