Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scion 100,000 mile club
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was on ministyle.com and came across Ted's xb at layin in the park , which they would have had more than one pic of it. that is a sweet azz box

Attachments

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I saw a Colorado painted this color. Must be the next bandwagon color to have. good thing you did it before everyone else. I still like that color tho.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I saw a Colorado painted this color. Must be the next bandwagon color to have. good thing you did it before everyone else. I still like that color tho.
Hmmm that I doubt. My xB is a custom 2 tone Kandy fade. It has no color actually but is more or less one or the other of HOK Pagan Gold or HOK Tangerine applied over HOK BC 02 depending on which part of the body side tall fade you look at:) Thanks for the positive comments .

·
Registered
325 Posts
It is possible that the Colorado was not a fade but a high color shift basecoat clearcoat, GM has a couple colors that shift alot. One is an orange that has a lot of shift depending on viewing angle. It is also possible that the Colorado had been custom painted with a fade. My xB is a fade, with 7 coats of kandy pagan gold on the top and 7 coats of kandy tangerine on the bottom. Actual application involved spraying the pagan gold down to the rocker on coat 1, a little less low on coat 2, less low still on coat 3 etc, and the tangerine up to the rocker on coat 1 and a bit higher up each coat. The end result is that in the middle of each side there is roughly 3.5 coats of each color giving the center of the fade a gold/orange glow. It is 2 colors faded together across 3 feet (vertically) of the middle of the car.

I am sure that there are aftermarket suppliers (colorado customs being one) that are doing fades over factory colors as well (painting an additional color over the factory hue either on the top or the bottom for a similar effect). These fades generally do not have as strong an effect as what I did since they are limited by the factory basecoat being sprayed over. The biggest drawback to any fade paint finish is that it is pretty much unrepairable. If it is done like most dealer sold one offs (common for many years) with basecoats it is semi repairable. If it is done with kandies like I did it is unrepairable as the color coats are totally transparent only darkening the color a bit with each coat. If I get a door ding requiring repair and paint, I must repaint the entire exterior of the car with silver basecoat all the way up thru the kandies and clear to restore the finish to its current beauty (15 coats of paints). With a basecoat only fade the situation is similar however since the basecoat itself has coverage and hiding, it is more likely to be able to blend in a reasonable repair in an area. With the kandy any blending of the material over the exisiting kandy makes that area darker still. The only way to get close with my paint would be to rebase (silver) the damaged panel and then re-kandy and clear that panel trying to get exactly the same amount of kandy at the same height up the panel so that it might match the adjoining panels. This scenario is pretty much impossible to achieve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.