Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it - round trip from Long Island (New York) to South Florida including a side trip to Orlando. Total mileage around 3,000. Although I've done the trip more than two dozen times since the late 1960's, I've never had a better driving experience.

If you remember the East Coast torrential rains of Monday and Tuesday June 26 and 27, that is when I drove south solo. The return drive in mid July was equally uneventful considering the weather.

Car's performance: Excellent handling as long as you anticipate the push and pull effect of 18 wheelers as they pass by at high speeds. They tend to push you out of lane as their front passes yours and pull you in as their rear passes (just like in any other small light car.) Handlng was better at speeds over 70 MPH than around 50 - 60. Although I was concerned about hydroplaning in heavy rains, it was not noticed.

Gas mileage - at mostly 65 - 80 MPH and the A/C on constantly, I averaged about 32-33 MPG (That's with a 5 speed manual. I get about 35 MPG locally.)

One problem while driving through the south is the insect graveyard covering your car's front bumper, body and windshield. Nature solves that. In a typical tropical downpour, if you are driving at highway speeds, it works like a natural carwash. The insects are gone.

Pix of the YellowSubxB in Florida (including a meet up with Scion Dynasty of Orlando) can be found at: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/Yellowsubxb/

Attachments

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Cool, but you didn't mention how your back felt after the ride. Seat kills my back after about 45min.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have Been To Fl From Dallas Several Times In my Box ...Best Ride Yet...No Back Problems...Got Plenty of Butt And Back problems..In My Old Ford Ranger On Same Trip

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back and Butt

I'm in my late 50s, am 6' 4" tall with a size 14 shoe - The back did tighten up at times so that was always when I'd stop, hit the coffee stand and men's room, do some spinal stretches in the parking lot, then got back in for more driving. I'm sure that a lumbar support (lower back area) pillow would have helped.

Regarding comfort, I have never driven in a car for long distances that didn't tighten up my back.

If you have that problem, try stretching forward to touch your toes SLOWLY and try stretches to the side. It really does help a great deal.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I just got back from the Las Vegas Scion VIP event, it's only a 400 mile drive but the Box handled the hills with not trouble at all. The high speed was 100 down hill and 95 on the flats. I got 30 miles MPG on the trip out (Box loaded with luggage and equipment for the show) I'm pleased with the performance for my first long trip. I hit 10,000 miles while in Vegas.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I just got back from Texas. :) It was a fun trip except the warning I got from a state trooper for speeding..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.