Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, hoping someone can give me some insight on my 2006 Scion xB. Out of nowhere, my "overheating" light started flashing, though there's no indication my car is overheating. A little bit after that happened, the "VSC", "TRAC OFF", and check engine lights also turned on as well. My car still runs perfectly fine (although the heat doesn't seem to work), but the "VSC", "TRAC OFF", and check engine lights are on as soon as the car starts and the "overheating" light flashes (but does not stay solidly lit nor do any sounds happen) once the car is warmed up.
Two questions:
  1. What's the issue? Could it be something easy to fix, like something loose, or does it need to go to a repair shop?
  2. Is the car still safe to drive given those factors?
Thanks in advance for any insight you're able to provide!

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,563 Posts
Take it to either a mechanic or auto parts store and have the codes read so you can actually see what's wrong. The VSC, Trac and check engine light all come on together any time the ECU throws a code. The temp light means it's probably cooling related but have it checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah definitely get the codes read, it’s gonna be the simplest way to diagnose. You could also check to make sure your gas cap is tightened as that seems to be a common issue that throws a code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, hoping someone can give me some insight on my 2006 Scion xB. Out of nowhere, my "overheating" light started flashing, though there's no indication my car is overheating. A little bit after that happened, the "VSC", "TRAC OFF", and check engine lights also turned on as well. My car still runs perfectly fine (although the heat doesn't seem to work), but the "VSC", "TRAC OFF", and check engine lights are on as soon as the car starts and the "overheating" light flashes (but does not stay solidly lit nor do any sounds happen) once the car is warmed up.
Two questions:
  1. What's the issue? Could it be something easy to fix, like something loose, or does it need to go to a repair shop?
Thanks in advance for any insight you're able to provide! View attachment 79135

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two questions:
Thanks in advance for any insight you're able to provide! View attachment 79135
Gotta get the Codes Read with an OBD 2 scanner. Got mine read. Turns out the Upstream O2 Sensor had to be replaced but ya gotta get the codes read first to identify the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My little 05 has the same string of lights. The overheating light (for me) was the head gasket/radiator/water pump all failing, going up a mountain/working too hard. The other three lights (for me) are tied to the catalytic converter and 2 sad cylinders. Definitely get it scanned and check out your cooling system. Mine didn’t even give me a warning- it flashed the overheating light and then died on the highway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts