Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've added interior lights and at first I had them wired to turn on with the head lights. I did this by tapping into a plug that I think would have been used to power the lights for the gear indicator had it been an automatic. I wanted the lights to come on when the doors open as well. So a little creative wiring and a couple of relays later they do.
The problem is that one of the relays gets it ground from the ground for the factory interior light. Since that ground is controlled by some module and it looses its ground gradually it causes the relay to buzz before it shuts the lights off. I know given time the relay may go out due to fatigue and I don't really care (relays are cheap) but the buzzing sound bugs me.
Is there any way to stop this, could I add a capacitor or is there a electronic relay or should I just put in ear plugs when the lights go out?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Trek777 said:
I've added interior lights and at first I had them wired to turn on with the head lights. I did this by tapping into a plug that I think would have been used to power the lights for the gear indicator had it been an automatic. I wanted the lights to come on when the doors open as well. So a little creative wiring and a couple of relays later they do.
The problem is that one of the relays gets it ground from the ground for the factory interior light. Since that ground is controlled by some module and it looses its ground gradually it causes the relay to buzz before it shuts the lights off. I know given time the relay may go out due to fatigue and I don't really care (relays are cheap) but the buzzing sound bugs me.
Is there any way to stop this, could I add a capacitor or is there a electronic relay or should I just put in ear plugs when the lights go out?

im not too sure but add a resistor and a capacitor equal to cancel them out and sanwich the relay between

wait its more like resistor=>capacitor=>relay=>resistor=>capacitor=>transformer

im probably talking out my saa but you know, it sounds logical.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
First, let me just say that you want to be VERY careful with what you hook up to the dome light in an xB unless you would enjoy spending $425 for a new "Door Lock Control Relay" module. There have been a fair number of folks who have overloaded the tiny solid-state output device in that module that provides the 'variable ground' for the dome light.

Your best bet might be to pick up your ground for your relay(s) from pin 5 or 7 of the DLCR module, instead of the lead to the dome light.

(The DLCR module is located just under the speedo - behind the head unit - and is actually easy to get to.)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Uh- oh...hey Tomas!

I was planning on adding some small lights under the dash to come on when the door is opened, like the dome, ? if wired independant, using the door switch, do you think it would interfere with the circuitry of the module?
.....don't want to spend $450 bucks on a relay....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks again Tomas!

Appreciate the info, I'm glad one of us knows what NOT to do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.