Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so has anyone illuminated acrylic before? whats the best way to do it...basically im trying to make a custom emblem...have a small piece of probably about 2mm thick, I was wondering if I could basically make a stencil of the logo and paint everything but the logo black and try to light it from behind...but wouldn't really light up the entire emblem...how do I get the light to travel evenly across the acrylic? anyone?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Depends on how large the design is.

If you light it from the side (the thin, cut side), the illumination will travel through the plastic better. Also, the more opaque it is, the more it would "glow". Those LED strips they sell at oznium would work great, but cathodes should not be ruled out either. I would recommend wrapping the strip around the design fully.

It really depends on the overall size of the design and where the design is...mounted inside a speaker box for example, the strp would work great. Mounted in place of the grill emblem, not so great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the emblem will replace the front grill one, it is about 2 1/2" tall and 3" wide.
The more opaque and clear (but "milky in color), the better. Two 4" cathodes would be hella bright IMO.

Or you could do a more solid plastic and cut out the letters to allow just the "SCION" to glow.

Im sure others will chime in as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k...thats pretty much what I was thinking...had descided to sand the inward side some...will probably grab some leds on the way home.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If you go to Fry's for your LED's make sure you get the proper resistor value so your not frying them (no pun intended). If you have questions about resistance just ask one of the guys in that dept.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah like that sid but im doing a custom logo...dont want to say what it is because havn't seen any of them yet and dont know why...but do you have a write up or some more pics?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
check this site out cyro.com and first click under the "TechKnowlogy center" link. Have to sign up for a free acct., but there are pages of info on lighting, cutting, polishing, and everything else you can think of for working with acrylic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.