Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lift the front of my seats up by putting on some washers and longer bolts.

Has anyone done this yet? What bolt size did you use?

Thanks.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I put a couple washers under the front of the passenger seat so I could get my sub-box under it, I didn't get longer bolts. Just pull one out and take it to the hardware store, they should be able to help.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
They do seem a little too flat, no angle on the base at all.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How much lift did you really gain out of rasing the seat. Seems that if you get it too high then you would have to get longer bolts.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
ShortBus said:
How much lift did you really gain out of rasing the seat. Seems that if you get it too high then you would have to get longer bolts.
Not much, just enough to help get the box under and able to slide a little bit. 1/4" topps, if that!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
1. First of all you need to remove the two bolts holding the seat down in the front. These pass through a mounting bracket, you cant miss them.

2. Next, we will want to pull the front of the seat up to change the angle but to do this you must loosen the bolts that anchor the seat in the back. You must take off the cover to get to them but once again, you cant miss them. After doing this you should be able to life the front of the seat up and now you can see where we are going with this.

3. Next you must go to the local hardware store and buy new longer bolts and some washers. I went to lowes first and like an idiot bough standard bolts and of course they didnt fit so i had to return them and go to home depot because lowes had like 7 items that were metric. This next part will depend on the person but i got new bolts that were 10.25x50mm. Try to get the strongest bolt you can, preferably grade 8 so you they can withstand an impact. Also, you must buy washers. These will go under the mounting bracket in the front. I used 10 under each bracket but i suggest starting at 5 and then working your way up. This allowed for a pretty big increase in the angle and comfort of the seat.

4. Now just slip the washers under the mount and slip in the new bolts. Visually, you should already see a difference so tighten up the bolts in the front and back, replace the back covers and you are done.

5. Test out your new seat and enjoy the comfort!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
No prob!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ****. None of the 4 hardware stores I went to carry the bolt I want.

The 10.25x50mm bolts don't work.

I tried about 3 washers, but I wasn't comfortable using the stock bolts, given that they are VERY important.

So my safety mind over ruled my comfort mind.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Don't you guys think It might be a little safer(sp) to use a spacer like you would use in the front plate relocation than washers? Or does it really matter? But i think the spacer looks better.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the spacer would have to be pretty wide and thick, because the holes are rather large, and you'd want thickness for strength.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The OEM bolts are M10x1.25 thread pitch, 25mm thread length. I wanted to raise the front of my seats 25mm, or approx. 1". So I made some 25mm spacers out of 6061 aluminum and got some M10x1.25, 50mm long grade 8.8 bolts. You usually can't find these at Home Depot/Lowe's since they carry mainly standard. I was going to order a box from McMaster-Carr, but decided to try a small local hardware store first. Sure enough, they had the correct bolts and sold them individually.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts