Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for disk spacers to raise my car about 2 in or so . i live down a bad road and want to lift the box a little .. and sugestions?:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was looking to do this at some point as well. I was thinking bigger tires and bigger shocks would do the trick. But I could be wrong. I would like to know the best way to do this.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
You would need to look into installing a coil spring spacer or as the Jeep crowd calls them budget boost. You could also look into getting 4 coil springs from another vehicle that has the same size coil mounts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so find out the size of my springs and crap and find bigger replacements?

i am about to get 18in rims with rubberband tires
so that would work?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
You live down a bad road and you are getting 18inch rims with low profile tires.......you are going to risk damaging your rims and the ride is going to be harsh.

I would stick with a 15 or 16 inch rim for a larger sidewall. This way the sidewall absorbs some bumps.

Why don't you get air ride if you want regular rims and tires. You can air up when you get to the crappy road. This could raise it an inch or two above stock and drop you as low as you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not a bad idea....

i just need a little more lift

so leave it with the 16 inch rims..

wide big tires...and everything shuld be fine?

thanks..

sometime in december i am getting rims and tires..

i will post a pic of the rimsi am getting ..

i will deal with it untill then ..

thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
The sprinng spacers the guy mentioned that the Jeep people use is the worst thing you can possibly do to your car. That is like those guys that cut or heat their springs to lower their cars.

If you do the spring clamps/spacers you will ruin your springs and your struts in no time flat, your car will ride like horse **** and you will hate it.

Stock ride height on xB's is already pretty high for the size of the car. If you want to raise it right you can do it one of three ways.

1. put on tires with a slightly larger overall diameter. 195/60R15's or 195/65R15's should still fit in the wheelwells.

2. find longer springs and struts to fit into your xB. I'm sure there are other Toyota products out there that accomplish this and wouldn't require much modification to fit to an xB

3. Cut your upper strut mounts out and move them down 2". This must be done carefully and you must make sure their new location is reinforced so they don't move or break.

There are some ideas for you. All I ask is you DO NOT under any circumstances use those cheapy ass spacers.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
ctruss what do you base your suspension opinion on???? I agree it is not the best way of doing it but it is not as bad as you say it is. I speak as both a Jeep enthusiast and also an engineer. It does affect the amount of suspension travel but we already have very little. It is the same principle as using stock struts with shorter springs but in the reverse. You are making the springs longer.

It would take a very long time to destroy a set of coil springs with a budget boost and is nothing like cutting springs to lower a vehicle. Cutting the spring changes the spring rate and the spring mounting point. That is very dangerous.

I think he sees the best thing to do is stay on 16 inch rims and use the rite to lift it and maybe add air ride to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks .. in about 1 to 3 months i will be doing it.. i need to save more money ..
for the rims and crud..

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Why get wheels if you're on an old country road?

plus, like another person has said already, the xB has pretty good ground clearance to start off with, higher than a lot of cars.

Maybe you should just take it easy when you drive on it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.