·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after2.2.jpg

after8.2.jpg

after5.2.jpg

after3.2.jpg

i replaced all the leds on the board with blue leds except the temp-hot. and the clock will be changed to blue soon. the guy didn't send me enough to do the clock, but he is shipping them out asap!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Looks good!:D I changed all mine to red, but skipped on the dash indicator lights. They should only be lit when something is wrong (which is hopefully never), so out of that group I only did the turn indicators.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well all of the lights are only on cause i just turned the car on, and flashed the pic right away. they all go back off after a second or two.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I like it. I have the LED's but haven't had time to do it yet. I'll leave my "idiot lights" the stock colors but will change the clock and speedo. Nice job.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
soldering tiny smd leds (chip looking leds) required. It's not that difficult, but I would practice on some old clock radio, vcr, or something like that first. there's a good wtite up on some soldering basics on SL in the tech section if you need to refresh the skills. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Just a note: A small drop of glue was used on the bottom of the OEM LEDs in my clock making it a pain to remove cleanly. Had to gently pry off the board with an Xacto blade when ALL solder was cleared off the pad.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
soldering tiny smd leds (chip looking leds) required. It's not that difficult, but I would practice on some old clock radio, vcr, or something like that first. there's a good wtite up on some soldering basics on SL in the tech section if you need to refresh the skills. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Just a note: A small drop of glue was used on the bottom of the OEM LEDs in my clock making it a pain to remove cleanly. Had to gently pry off the board with an Xacto blade when ALL solder was cleared off the pad.
Use tweezer and watch the heat, heat will destroy LED's and or diodes which LED's are. Flux will help the solder flow and clean up with rubbing alcohol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just outta curiousity, has anyone ever tried one of those new "cold solder" guns? I've seen them advertised but haven't bought one to try yet. If they actually work they'd be great for stuff like this.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
^^^^^I agree! I couldn't get an accurate temperature off of the point. I wouldn't advise anyone to use the cold ones especially for any delicate work.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Just outta curiousity, has anyone ever tried one of those new "cold solder" guns? I've seen them advertised but haven't bought one to try yet. If they actually work they'd be great for stuff like this.
I have never seen one in use, I use a badass solder station I got from work, it has a soldering iron and a desolder gun, that sucks the solder up once it flows and I hit the trigger. We keep them set at 700 degree's F, flux help out greatly. I guess I could offer a LED replacement service.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i finally finished off wat i started! i put in the leds behind the clock!!! but the pic show no justice!!!! the clock may lock like a blueish green in the bix but is really a bright blue..... i guess it was to bright for my crappy camera!

board1.JPG

board2.JPG

dash2.JPG

dash1.JPG

dash3.JPG

oh and this is no job for that cold solder , simply because there really not enough room to solder like that and because they just suck! i got one for christmas also and i think i'll stick to my old soldering iron!!!!lol

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
That has to be one of the best mods I have seen. That is extremely clean. Can you tell us how much it cost for all of the LED's? Is there anyone that can make a quick video on how to do this. Maybe something you can throw on to Youtube. Very good job thank you for sharing with us.

Shawn

·
Registered
158 Posts
This was one of the first mods I've done! Mine are red! You can get some LED's from my buddy Jeremy at garage1217.com

keoki

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i got this kit off of ebay for 20 bucks, and i wish i recorded the process so i could show how it was done but no such luck!!! go to ebay and type in scion xb dash led

1 - 20 of 27 Posts