Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is what I did to make my 3rd brake light a bit brighter & the illumination more consistent across the whole lens :D Enjoy!

:eek: DISCLAIMER- If you break your stuff not my fault, lol :eek:

When I first got my xB, I wrapped my 3rd brake light in black vinyl & cutout the letters for my nickname

Unfortunately, the OE bulb only lit up the center, so the outer letters didn't show up well (even in the dark). So I bought a Red xB2 LED dome light kit from LED-Modified (same as Oznium) & here are the steps I used to fit it inside the stock housing.

First, I cut a thin piece of plastic to use as a backing plate as the LED panel is roughly the same width as the bulb bucket in the OE housing. The hole is there to accommodate the wiring.

Using some very thin double-back tape on the back of the plastic piece, I then affixed the LED panel to the thin plastic with the wires thru the hole, & then stuck it down to the OE housing.

After that the lens goes back on, & the reassembly of the light itself is just reverse of disassembly. However, the top row of LEDs is a pretty snug fit below the lens.

This is my first DIY & am very pleased with the results. I hope someone else will find it useful too :D

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
785 Posts
Great idea. That looks like it will throw some good, even, light. Is the LED plate made of material which could be trimmed horizontally pretty easy; to position it so the fit would not be so tight? Pictures of the finished product please. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The finished product is actually better than I expected. Perfect brightness, & since it sits behind a red lens the hot-points of the LEDs are barely noticeable. The LED-board is trimable, yes, however the printed circuit is very near the edges (be careful if you decide to trim it). As soon as I can come up with a better camera than my phone's I will get a picture of it at night all lit up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.