Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I'm looking at options for the stock 15" wheels and stock height.

What's the biggest I can fit in there with ZERO rubbing?

I currently have 195/60's with zero issues, but they do look kinda tiny and the speedo seems to be off according to my GPS (speedo reads about ~5mph higher than GPS)

Wouldn't mind getting a bit more rubber in there if I can.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The speedo will read around that much higher than GPS with the factory stock 185/65% tyres. Speedometers and odometers are designed to be between 5 and 8% over reading as it's not illegal to drive slower than the limit and if the speedo read true midway through the life of the tyre, then it would be illegally underreading with new treads on.

Use the link that gives you the actual circumference, put in the tread sectional width that you want, and it will compare to the circumference of the stock 185/65% or whatever you enter in the box at the left of the page. I'm after posting that in two separate threads recently, here it is again:

Click on the link, this is the 4th page on Chromium, Safari may have a different layout as the site is compiled like a forum, then scroll down while you see the comparison chart. One thing though but: You need to use a figure of >/</=96% of the ROLLING circumference to get the same static figure, this can also be calculated from the static laden radius, so don't worry when it seems to be a little out when you click on the calculate button below the chart:

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, went with the 205/60's :)

Pretty big difference compared to my old 195/60's

No rubbing, super smooth and the speedo matches my GPS perfectly now :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
For some reason i couldn't post a new thread, so decided to ask here since it's a similar question.
I wanted to get these Enkei Compe wheels and wanted to ask which size could i possibly get?
https://revwerkswheels.com/product/enkei-compe-wheels/

15x7 or 15x8 or maybe 16x7, 16x8? and what offset? And the what are the biggest tires i can put on for those sizes?
Thanks a lot for answers

·
Rescued RS 2.0
814 Posts
For some reason i couldn't post a new thread, so decided to ask here since it's a similar question.
I wanted to get these Enkei Compe wheels and wanted to ask which size could i possibly get?
https://revwerkswheels.com/product/enkei-compe-wheels/

15x7 or 15x8 or maybe 16x7, 16x8? and what offset? And the what are the biggest tires i can put on for those sizes?
Thanks a lot for answers
Need to answer a question with a question. Is your goal more about aesthetics or performance.

if the latter, lighter is better and 15's are always lighter than 16's. Best tire size that won't mess with your speedo calibration is 205 55 15. But they're getting hard to find. I love my Enkie 15's.

If Aesthetics, I think you have more tire options with 16's and it's a fair compromise to performance IF you get light weight racing wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need to answer a question with a question. Is your goal more about aesthetics or performance.

if the latter, lighter is better and 15's are always lighter than 16's. Best tire size that won't mess with your speedo calibration is 205 55 15. But they're getting hard to find. I love my Enkie 15's.

If Aesthetics, I think you have more tire options with 16's and it's a fair compromise to performance IF you get light weight racing wheels.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm more about performance, which one would fit into first gen without any modifications, 15x7 or 15x8? they also have different offset of 0mm, 25mm, 38mm, which one is the right one?
And is the 205 55 15 the biggest tire i can put on, if so do you have any recommendations for a specific tire brand?

Sorry, it's a lot of questions but thanks a lot for the answers.

·
Rescued RS 2.0
814 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm more about performance, which one would fit into first gen without any modifications, 15x7 or 15x8? they also have different offset of 0mm, 25mm, 38mm, which one is the right one?
And is the 205 55 15 the biggest tire i can put on, if so do you have any recommendations for a specific tire brand?

Sorry, it's a lot of questions but thanks a lot for the answers.
205 55 15 is my choice because it's the widest I could find that has the correct diameter so the speedo doesn't loose it's calibration. I believe my Enkie's are 15x6 40

Tire Brand, pretty much a slave to to the few providers that still offer 205 55 15. Yok S Drives are no longer made, which "were" my preference. I believe Nitto and Dunlop still provide that size, Dunlop probably the better of the two IMO. I bought some Nitto's to replace worn out S Drives, mounted them on the rear and my ABS didn't like them. Moved them to the front and my S Drives to the rear to make it happy again. Go figure.

Keep in mind, the primary thing is the weight. So you could find 16 or even 17's Racing wheels that might be lighter than some 15's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts