Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (3 months ago) purchased a 06' xB and had issues with where to mount my laptop. I own my own company, and am constantly on the road (and in my car). My laptop is my lifeline.

Since the day I purchased the Scion, I knew the little compartment in the center console was the key, so I decided to sit down and design a system that would allow me to take advantage of this compartment, and solve my problem.

Well, to make a long story short, the end result was very pleasing. I have been using the "xTray" for about a month now, and have never been more comfortable in my little xB.

The design of the tray came out so well that I decided to create a website around it to not only promote it, but also promote my company. The site just went up, so the only product on it is the "xTray".

If you are interested in seeing it, you can go to my website, lasermystuff.com, or just view the attached pic.

I hope this helps all those out there that have a similar problem. I know it has made my life a lot easier. The "xTray" has truly converted this great little commuter car into the ultimate portable office.

If anyone does take a look at this thread, or the site, please do feel free to comment. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
That thing is cool! I don't use a laptop in my car but I know of some people who would find that useful.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Have you toyed with the idea of using the pass side area above the glove box? I have a Manual and think it would be kinda hard to shift..... But other than that YOUR IDEA ROCKS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you toyed with the idea of using the pass side area above the glove box? I have a Manual and think it would be kinda hard to shift..... But other than that YOUR IDEA ROCKS!!!!!!!
Thanks for the kind words guys... and girls. :)

I've thought of several things to do with the empty space above the glove box, but nothing that I have liked enough to devote the time to designing it.

The "xTray" was designed with the shifter in mind. The stock xB standard shifter is shorter then the automatic, and if you look at the other pics on the site you will see that there is plenty of room to shift the auto knob, so the manual shifter is no prob. I actually took the "xTray" to a dealer just to try it out on a manual xB.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buy the mounts that the police use :D
That's kind of where I got the idea!

In any case, if anyone has any other cool ideas that can be manufactured with lexan, I can give it some thought. If it's not already on my list, and I come up with a good design, I'll put it up on lasermystuff.com, and send you a free one just for giving me the idea.

I'm already planning on custom etched and designed (shape and size) speaker box and amp covers. When you light up etched lexan with bright LEDs it gives off a great glow that would really sharpen up any custom stereo system.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Dude, that thing is super cool. If I could only think of something neat to use lexan for, I'll let ya know......When you say an idea, is it just the idea you need, or do you need a full design?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sweet Laptop mount!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WHAT SIZE OF LAPTOP CAN YOU PUT ON THAT THING?:confused:

Check out the website, and you will see another, larger, laptop that we also used on this tray with no problems. The dimensions of the larger laptop are 12.5" wide by 10" deep, and it fit securely on the tray with no problems. The tray is 11" wide by 8.5" deep, so the large laptop overhangs a bit, but this was not an issue. The rubber pads on the bottom of the laptop make it adhere to the tray very well so that it doesn't shift around at all during normal driving.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
but isnt the engine cover that comes with the xB plastic?? is there a difference between the two?? just wondering.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Looks like he did a darn good "low tech" job. I'm just curious how he did it. Sounds like quite a talent!
lol!!!
when I said lo tech, it only mean it involve rough and manual procedure. drawing directly to the plexy, then cutting and carving it with a rotary tool and file. it involves too much time, but the way Pat(cravin) saw me the other day at work, lol!!! I have a lot of time.

back to the topic, some ideas for you:
1. replace pocket door with etch lexan, lighting it is very easy, someone already did it but it involves cutting and bonding plexy to the pocket door. if you can make a direct replacement, people will buy it.

2. CCFL housing for 12" or 4" kinda like this

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.