Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 XB, is the keyless entry supposed to beep when I lock the doors? How can I tell the diff between keyless entry and alarm? I just bought it used.

Thanks,

RayJ

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
nope its not susposed to beep only the alarms do unless u hit the red button to panic the keyless it then honks the horn.:) I just bought a alarm with remote start and added 5 sirens had added 2 more horns its pretty loud and scares the hell out peeps:D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The only obvious difference between an alarmed and a non-alarmed xB (OEM systems) if the small snap-in panel in the center knock-out below the climate controls that contains the small flashing red light and the microphone for the alarm.

Neither the remote entry nor the alarmed xBs (OEM systems) beep when armed or disarmed.

You get one flash of exterior lights when the system is armed, and two flashes when it is dis-armed (unless it has been triggered since it was last armed, then you get three flashes).

Tomas

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I've heard of something you can do to make it beep....i don't know how to do it though but i can talk to the guy that figured it out...

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
caden_stargate said:
I've heard of something you can do to make it beep....i don't know how to do it though but i can talk to the guy that figured it out...
Yes get back to us on that. I'd be interested in knowing how if you find out let us know. I asked a guy at a stereo place that does alarms as well and they said can't be done and tried to sell me an alarm system. I have the scion security system and that will have to do for now maybe later as I have the $$ I'll put in a better system. I just wanted audio conformation when locking for now.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Keyeasy, you must either have an aftermarket alarm system or an RS3, which has a different alarm system than the one provided with 'normal' xBs.

The usual optional xB alarm system (08586-52960) doesn't even have a 'beeper.'

Ruthless, the microphone is the 'glass breakage detector' that listens for the very sharp noise of breaking glass.

Tomas

·
Registered
22 Posts
RayJ said:
I have an '05 XB, is the keyless entry supposed to beep when I lock the doors? How can I tell the diff between keyless entry and alarm? I just bought it used.

Thanks,

RayJ
I just posted to the same question on SL.

Mine does beep. After reaching in my pocket a few times at 5 AM for my keys and inadvertently hitting the panic button, of course waking all my neighbors... I removed the back cover on the remote, pulled the red button out and filled the hole full of glue. No panic button anymore.

Then I found out if I hit the lock button twice, it beeps. Once to lock, twice to lock and beep. Don't ask me why, AFAIK it came that way from the dealer. Mine is an 06. I've only made it beep once, I'm not a big fan of beeps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine was installed at the dealership. I was told it is the standard Scion alarm system. Got it factored into the purchase price and installed a few days after.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Oddly enough, the 'standard Scion alarm' for the xB does not even have a beeper built into it.

I've read several times of folks paying a dealership the $500 for the 08586-52960 alarm system and instead getting a $50 aftermarket system installed.

I'm not suggesting that happened to you, but if it beeps when armed it isn't the 08586-52960. :)

http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/04_xB_Shop_Manuals/Installation Manuals/0858652960xBScionSecurity.pdf
http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/04_xB_Shop_Manuals/xB_Alarm_Owner's_Manual.pdf

Tomas

·
Registered
60 Posts
You are correct Tomas. I'm just not sure there is much I can do about it now. Bought my 06 at the end of March. The alarm is pretty cool other than the fact that it beeps. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Maybe I am confused here, you are not talking about the keyless entry but the toyota alarm correct? I onlyhave the keyless entry on my RS1 and no beeps, on the wifes RS3 with factory alarm, no beeps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
keyeasy said:
You are correct Tomas. I'm just not sure there is much I can do about it now. Bought my 06 at the end of March. The alarm is pretty cool other than the fact that it beeps. Thanks for the info.
That's interesting because I bought mine at the end of March too. I suppose it could be aftermarket. I ordered the Scion alarm, it fits in the dash, the key fobs say Scion on them. I suppose anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
To those of you who have 'beeping alarms'...

You should have gotten an Owners Guide (instruction manual) for your alarm. If not, go to your dealer and INSIST you get one.

If it is not this booklet:
http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/04_xB_Shop_Manuals/xB_Alarm_Owner's_Manual.pdf
for the Toyota/Scion 08586-52960 VIP alarm system, let us know what it IS for.

This is sounding stranger and stranger. Possibly Scion changed to a different model alarm, or there have been changes made in that model.

I'm getting awfully curious.

Tomas

·
Registered
86 Posts
After reading Tomas' statement about the Scion alarm system switch at some dealers with a cheap aftermarket, I'm glad I didn't get one there.. besides, $3 off the insurance bill is not worth a $500 investment!

And I agree. This is odd. Keyeasy and RayJ - are these brand new or used xBs? Which dealer? Just hope it's not a certain nationwide dealership doing this, but just a random switch of systems by Scion without warning.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i would think u would be able to wire this. whatever sends the current to the lights u could also trigger with the horn on a relay... just a thought

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Gotta be careful there, BLT - if one just hooked it up to one of the alarm leads to any of the lights, one would also have the horn sounding any time that light was turned on any other way...

Probably the easiest, most sane way to do this would be to grab one of those electronic beepers at Radio Shack and a decent diode so the beeper doesn't come on every time the lights do, and mount the beeper under the hood somewhere. That way you'd get a beep or chirp when the alarm system flashed the lights.

Hopefully, no one really feels the need to add yet another beep, chirp, or honk to the scene. A polite twitch of the lights really should be enough...

Tomas

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.