Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess this would be considered my first mod....:D I've had the box for four days now...guess it was time for something! LOL! Here are a couple of pics.....what do you think of mounting location??

Already taking it apart....LOL!

Finished....

All lit up....

-Kevin

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just curious where did you run the antenna? I have been thinking of installing but was worried about what I would have to do to hide the wires..

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The antenna was easy really. I centered it on the rear of the roof...ran the wire along the inside of the rear door weather stripping....and then once inside the car I ran it tucked just inside the plastic trim pieces to the front A pillar...then again tucked inside the weather stripping all the way down then under the dash...

Hope that helps a little....really wasn't bad...It took me just about an hour once I decided where I wanted to mount the receiver.

-Kevin

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I tried putting mine in the front window. didn't work too well. The Toll road lane passes don't work either in the window. Cool idea tho on that mount!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
currently I am in the process of installing mine, where did you get your powersource? are you using the cigarette plug as your powersource? or did you tap right into the fuse panel? can you take a pic of how you have it powered up? also can you take a pic of how you have your sat unit mounted? I would greatly appreciate it. By the way it looks really good.

Roydog

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
currently I am in the process of installing mine, where did you get your powersource? are you using the cigarette plug as your powersource? or did you tap right into the fuse panel? can you take a pic of how you have it powered up? also can you take a pic of how you have your sat unit mounted? I would greatly appreciate it. By the way it looks really good.

Roydog

Thanks!

I will try to take a few pictures of it tomorrow. If not, I will definitely snap a few on Saturday....gotta take the dash apart again anyway.

·
i love my box
429 Posts
hey kevin, how did you take the dash apart? i want to try and get some led's into the outer vents but the only way i can see me doing that is with taking off part if not all of the dash. would really appreciate it dude!

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey kevin, how did you take the dash apart? i want to try and get some led's into the outer vents but the only way i can see me doing that is with taking off part if not all of the dash. would really appreciate it dude!
The only part of the dash that I had to take apart was the center section. I saw a thread the other day that was talking about how to get into the outer vents. I want to say they popped the speaker grills off to do it. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Roydog....sorry for no pictures yet. :( I've had two sick kids this past week .. and now weekend .. both have ended up in the ER and I think that my son may end up back there again today if he doesn't get to feeling any better. :( I promise though, I'll get you some as soon as possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dude sorry to hear that about your kids :( I hope everything is ok? man i am totally digging the sat radio took a nice 3 hr trip to see my mom and my son and it was the best road trip in a while. Hope all is well.

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Roy.....sorry to take so long getting these for you. We were back in the ER on Monday and Tuesday with my son. He's had a tough go of it to say the least.

Anyway....I just ran outside and snapped these real quick. Hope they can still help you out.

I drilled a small hole through the base itself with the suction cup still attached. I left it in place to keep the fit tight and minimize any possible rattling. Man...it doesn't look anywhere near that dusty without the flash hitting it...guess I need to get the little vac out huh?!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kool place 2 put it on. Very clean job I have mine on my front window and I tucked all my wire and I enjoy the radio

·
Banned
130 Posts
Great mounting choice. Mine is in the same place, mounted onto a cell phone mount. I notched the silver trim where the plate was so it'd all sit flush. My antenna is in the same place, with the wires routed through the grommets in the top of the hatch (specifically, the one that runs power for the 3rd brake light), and running above the headliner to the passenger side A-pillar.

Nice job! Great taste in mounting options!

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great mounting choice. Mine is in the same place, mounted onto a cell phone mount. I notched the silver trim where the plate was so it'd all sit flush. My antenna is in the same place, with the wires routed through the grommets in the top of the hatch (specifically, the one that runs power for the 3rd brake light), and running above the headliner to the passenger side A-pillar.

Nice job! Great taste in mounting options!
Thanks!! We tried the whole suction cup mounting thing in my wife's Quest. In middle of a hot Florida summer it may stick it may not...LOL! What really sucked was making a turn and it flying off at that moment. :eek: I also wasn't crazy about drilling holes in my new dash....I love where it ended up...REALLY easy to see and it's out of the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey FLNurse67 thats a totally clean job me likes. Did you splice directly into the radio for direct power? I have mine all hidden cause I live in San Antonio and kind of worried of someone jacking my radio. They love to break into xB here. :(
Were the blue lights a pain to put in? I would love to put some red lights in since my box is black. Love white xB with the racing stripes thats my wall paper on my workstation. Hehe

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey FLNurse67 thats a totally clean job me likes. Did you splice directly into the radio for direct power? I have mine all hidden cause I live in San Antonio and kind of worried of someone jacking my radio. They love to break into xB here. :(
Were the blue lights a pain to put in? I would love to put some red lights in since my box is black. Love white xB with the racing stripes thats my wall paper on my workstation. Hehe

No, I tapped into the power supply for the cig lighter...just seemed the easiest at the time.

The blue lights that are in my box now are the ones that came with it from Scion. But just looking at how and where they are mounted it looks as if it would be a very easy install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts