Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! i just bought a 05 xb 83k miles. Tried to get smog passed but vcs,trac off, engine light came on and codes p0442 p0441 p0446. Per pep boys had vsv and evap canister replaced..two days later got p0420..replaced front o2 sensor..two days later same lights same codes... I'm just trying to get my car smogged and registered. Anyone one know what to do ..i feel like i got screwed on this car :( fyi as a female with little car knowledge any help would be appreciated!

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Seller is normally responsible for providing the smog cert. Buying the car without smog was a mistake. You may want to continue fixing it (pepboys is not the best place though) or try to reverse the sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know now that the smog should have been provided my BIG mistake as a non educated buyer..funny enough it wasnt on my things to ask for..lol I was more concerned about the carfax.My understanding via the dmv is as a private sell i can not reverse the purchase..pep boys is def out of the question for future repairs but there has to be an alternative to the dealer..

---------- Post added 05-17-2012 at 04:39 PM ----------

I mean at this point Im just beyond frustrated I feel like every time I take it in Im getting a new code and replace the recommended part to get my dash lit up like a christmas tree after two days

·
I like right angles
330 Posts
How does it run? Chuggy? If not then it may be a simple O2 sensor. If so, you may need a new exhaust with new CAT and O2 sensor.

That means you can go new stock and over pay, OR it's time to upgrade that exhaust. ;)

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Check local law regarding this. In Ca for example you have a time window during which you can request for the reverse of sale and with smog check failure it's usually pretty much automatically your win. Even with private transaction "as is" sale.
Or find a reputable shop to diagnose and fix it if you don't feel like asking PepBoys why they replaced O2 sensor and there are no positive results.

·
Melissa(:
19 Posts
Go to the nearest O'Reilly Auto Parts, buy RXP, you'll have to ask an employee because we usually keep it behind the counter go fill up your tank add the RXP drive around a few miles get your code turned off and take the test. I've never actually used the stuff, but I work at O'Reilly and sometimes the workers at the sticker station will send customers to us to buy that stuff. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
if your looking to just get it "legal" reset the ECU and at 150 miles(thats when it passes ready check) take it to DMV. Then you can get the issue fixed when you have the time and money. Its what I did, Im tossing a few codes still. But atleast I now have 2 years to fix the problems before I need to get checked again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2006 about a month ago went through a similar situation VSC, Check engine light, Trac off came on. Dealer I bought it from took care of me. The garage that he deals with changed the Cam sensor ,but problem came back. They ended up changing the Cam gear and now the problem seems to be solved!! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts