Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my box back from the dealer tonight.

They've had it for the last two days while they fixed some leaking seals and O-rings in the transmission and when they called to let me know it was ready to be picked up they informed me that my front wheel bearings are bad as well and need to be replaced...WTF. The car is only 6 months old! So now I have to take it BACK in for warranty work (atleast it's covered under the warranty) on Friday.

It's KILLIN me maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!

Anyone else have any problems like this... so early?

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
Be glad it's still on warranty at least. I know that's not much assurance but then again it's better now while on warranty rather than not.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yeah, so long as it don't cost ya, new parts are new parts! Does seem strange that it should be needing something like that so soon. Any chance they're just making use of your warranty as well?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know what state you're in but if you're really concerned about any of this, see if your state has a "Lemon Law." In NY, if you can prove that a new car has serious defects in it (and a tranny problem in 6 months is a serious defect) then you can return the car, I think for up to a year for a full refund. Do some research.

FYI - and hopefully not related - There have been warnings about dealerships selling cars that were partially or totally under water in New Orleans after Katrina and many have surfaced around the country for sale after being cleaned up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is I LOVE my car! I'm hoping it's not a lemon and if I WERE to take that route I would definately get another XB!!

I'm calling the dealership back tomorrow to talk to them about the problems that I'm having with the car.

I'm in CA. by the way and we DO have lemon laws here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The "Lemon Law" only applies if they have tried to fix it repeatedly and can't. Just having a couple of problems is what the warranty is all about. IMO, it's part of mass production. Things that have a problem will generally fail early. I would assume it was a bad parts issue and now that they have been replaced, the issue should be gone too.

Sux to have any kinds of problems tho, especially early on. It could be worse, mine happened right at 36K and it was too late to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well, the wheel bearing could be that you have a large sized rim and its working to hard, or you have huge spacers and its puting a lot of pressure on them, or you have camber to the max. All of those things could contribute to your bearings, or you drive on hard, snowy roads also. JMO and I also don't know what you have done to your car.:)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Your Lemon Law book is in the glove box with the manual. It says "Owner Warranty Rights Notification" on the cover and it's blue.

That probably doesn't apply to your car though.

It sounds like you probably just got a couple of bad parts. Truthfully, the wheel bearings probably aren't too bad at all, but they may be on their way. The dealership may just be taking care of it now before it became a real problem.

Good luck and hopefully you will have many many good miles after this first stumble.

-Alex

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
hmm odd , drive through deep water? theres always a few things here and there wheel bearings aren't major , my questions is about yer transmission , mt , at? what were the symptoms? hmmm odd.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's an AT.

I didn't notice any slipping or anything, when I took it in for it's first oil change they noticed that it was leaking a little...like two drops of fluid. They wiped it down and said "we'll look at it again in a couple of weeks".

Went back in and they checked it and it was leaking again so it went in to be looked at deeper and that's when they found the rings and such were bad.

I'll have em check everything again when I take it back in to have the wheel bearings changed out just to make sure the trans isn't still leaking.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I always heard that big a$$ rims and offset would wear out the bearing because of the load difference and offset difference. Is that the cause who knows.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Gcat007 said:
Be glad it's still on warranty at least. I know that's not much assurance but then again it's better now while on warranty rather than not.
So very true! Keep us posted on the results. Man, that would really suck about the Katrina thing... :( I'd like to think dealers would be more honest than that.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
Skeeter said:
I always heard that big a$$ rims and offset would wear out the bearing because of the load difference and offset difference. Is that the cause who knows.
Yeah, I could never understand huge amounts of offset, or camber, imo and experience they are just asking for bearing failure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my 2 years of ownership, i have seen only 3 Scions that have major problems. 2 were constantly stalling out, and Scion couldnt find out a reason. THese were replaced by Scion at no cost to the owners. The 3rd Scion owner is a friend in North Jersey. Im not sure off hand exactly what he has had done, but the list continues to grow. Jokingly i told him that his box must have been made on a Friday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.