Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Dont get me wrong, Im sure that kit is great, but its not really a knockoff considering its a lower price US kit anyway. lol. Thats like saying OMG they knocked off the fake fab kit again! Its not like its a rare Japanese kit. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Visage kit is was one of the only kits made for the xB that fits well. Yes it is not a rare JDM kit but I am fed up with all of the people like this.

People who can not come up with an original idea of their own and make a living by copying the hard work of others. As a result of them copying the original, the person or company that produced the original loses out.

As for the lower priced US kit, when mine was installed it was $1500, so not including shipping it is in the same price range of some of the more common JDM kits we have seen.

But hey everyone has their own opinion.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Never liked the styling of this kit. Regardless, that's how business goes. Same or similar products for smaller pricetags than the next guy.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Wow thats crazy. I guess Ive just seen them for really good deals. As far as copying goes, thats the whole damn business. No one can come up with their own kits. No one can come up with their own wheel designs. No one can come up with their own wing even. As long as you know you have the legit stuff, that's all that matters. Ive been saying this about wheels for a long time, and it's a losing battle. The people who care about the market will continue to get the real stuff, and ignore the fakes. I was guilty of getting the fake crap at first, but am slowly converting everything to the authentic equivalent. Just makes me feel better that Im not falling into the dreaded downward market.

scotty

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it is the nature of business does not mean I need to like it. I am have a slanted view because my wife is an artist and we constantly fear that somone is going to steal her ideas and have them mass produced in China. We know artists that have had that happen.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Straight from JP...

JPUSA said:
WHO IS JP??
JP (Japan Products) Corporation is one of the oldest and largest aerodynamics body kit manufactures in Japan.

Since 1970, JP Corporation worked with various OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) companies in designing and manufacturing the aero kits using the latest technology, “Super Polyurethane” (SPU) material. JP Corporation in Japan have been known for an affordability and ultra high quality material that’s proven by many major auto manufactures in last 35 years. That makes us the leader and #1 in Japanese Aero industry.

WHO IS VIZAGE??
JP USA was officially found in 2004 to meet the high demands of super polyurethane kits from car enthusiasts around the world. Our brand name “VIZAGE” was used to identify our ultra high quality SPU (super polyurethane) from “other” polyurethane kits that’s made in overseas. It is very clear that our SPU (super polyurethane) is far more highly developed when comparing to "other" polyurethane material out in today’s market.

JP USA fully stocks products in 8,000sq/ft warehouse located in Ontario, California. In-house engineers and designers are constantly coming up with new unique ideas for underdevelopment vehicles.

Don't be fooled by "fakes". Get the original. Own the JP body kit for your ride and see it with your own eyes! We guarantee you’ll be satisfied with the unique design, quality, and its affordability.

DESIGNING
Here at the main design center of JP, our designers and modelers are working hard to bring the newest and hottest products to the market. Our design team is known for creating very unique concepts and ideas that no others ever thought of. Our main goal here is to bring the newest and most creative design to the world of aftermarket aero industry.

MODELING
In the modeling stage, our modelers make the actual “shape” of the approved design sent from our design center. We won’t have any products without skilled modelers since they are the ones who bring the design into life by creating an exact model.

MOLDING
Molding is the first step in the actual production stage. Once the model is approved, our technicians at the main workshop make the molding of each products. This procedure is done very carefully so that each and every piece we produce has an exact same shape, strength, and most importantly, quality.

TESTING
Our very first polyurethane prototype went through the toughest tests to see if they’ll really withstand the impact and the abuse that could occur in evryday life. Unique polyurethane raw material we use has such characteristics as ultra high memory and impact resistant. To test the product strength, we stored our prototype products in flattened, twisted, and bent shaped for months. Sometimes, drive them over with forlkifts, cars, and trucks to see if they’ll crack. Flattened, twisted, and bent products will re-shape its self back under direct sunlight or by use of the heat lamps.

SHIPPING
Once the products come out from our factory, our main distribution center prepares for shipping to various places. Our custom built shipping boxes tested for durability, making sure that our customers will receive the un-damaged products.
So it appears that the parent company "JP" is JDM with a significant history. However the USDM branch "Vizage" is a more recent add on. So the company has roots in Japan, but current design and production is taking place state side.

And while I am all for using genuine original products, I always have to laugh when xB owners bring this up. Not because I think there is something wrong with using those JDM, hard to get, expensive parts. But because in the end, the xB it's self is a knock off! The car was developed by Toyota to mimic the beloved Astro/Safari built by GM. It wasn't an exact copy, but the majority of its design elements were taken directly from the extremely popular GM minivans.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Thats kinda a stretch there if you've ever parked a xB next to an Astro. I dont care what you're going off of. Are you next going to say that we are just copies of a the Model T with the boxy shape and simplistic nature of our vehicles? Come on seriously. As far as the JDM debate goes, are we going to say that the USDM Enkei wheels are the exact same as the JDM AMEs? My statement of the copying the Vizage not mattering is probably because theres almost an exact replica in Japan too. I liken it to Fab kits. Especially since you bring up the fact they have a Japanese branch, Im sure they didnt come up with a whole completly new design JUST for the US market. (as JP didnt previously have a JDM kit for the bB).

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am going by what I have seen posted multiple times both here and on Scionlife by folks that were supposedly "in the know" on bB history. And from what I know of Japanese car culture at the time just before the bB was released in Japan the Astros and Safaris were super hot. There were companies stateside that would build van after van that would only spend enough time on US soil to be shot for a magazine and then get shipped over to Japan. For whatever reason the Japanese loved them.

And I am not saying it is an exact copy. I am sure Toyota already had a microvan in the works. I just think that everything lines up with the claims I have read that Toyota took many of their styling cues for the bB from the Astro and Safari.

In reality, when it comes to the JDM/USDM, authentic/knock-off debate... I really don't stand on either side of the fence. It really comes down to quality, fit, finish, style and value. There are certain items I will spend the extra money on to get a higher quality piece. Whether that piece is a rare JDM product or an easily acquired USDM product.

There are other items where I will save money where I can. Quality just doesn't suffer. The only thing you gain by paying more is the right to say that you paid more. There is no difference in quality, fit, finish or style. You are simply sacrificing value in order to say, "look how much money I spent."

Not to knock the guys who are willing to do this. It just isn't my thing.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
See I think you're missing one distinct difference: knowing that you have a legit part. Im a broke ass college student who can barely afford to get by half hte time. I scrape together what ever I can, and it goes straight into my car. I could probably have an insane car had I chose not to go with real parts. Theres something about rolling up to a car with the fakes though, and KNOWING you have a real part while theyre just faking the funk. Theres nothing wrong with it, but Ive gotten to the point where its going to be authentic, or totally different than anything else on the market. Thats just me. Yea those Helix fit the same, and have the same quality as Rushworks, but it makes me feel good knowing I have an authentic part. Thats the biggest difference I do it for, besides the fit and finish.

And yes of course Im sure the Astro van had a small impact on design (even though there were boxy cars much before then), but I just read your post and found it kind of to be absurd. It's too distinct of difference. Hell, Astros still have impact in that you can get GMC, Dodge, and Chevy kits for the bB. Thats just one aspect, but not soley it as there were more boxy cars. I think we're probably not that far off in opniion, but just slightly.

scotty

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Scotty... I know right where you are coming from with your build. I was the same way with my Dakota. I bought the "limited edition" truck myself at 20 years old and never looked back. That truck still isn't done because I refused to cut corners. I am getting ready to bring the truck back home for a complete tear down and rebuild.

If I had done things like used cheaper parts, cheaper labor and lower quality components I probably could have had the truck in a magazine by now. (Probably several times over in multiple variations.) On that build, I was not and am not willing to sacrifice on any aspect of the truck.

My xB will be built to the same standards. I just don't find it necessary to have "real JDM components." If the quality is there I don't need some "stamp of approval" from a company, a judge, or a peer. I build my cars for me, and no one else. (As I am sure most experience enthusiasts do.) If others happen to like what I build, great. If not, so be it.

Heck, I've been running Intro wheels on my Dakota since before most people had ever heard of them. And when I ordered the wheels, I ordered them with smooth center caps. If the wheels don't stand on their own design and quality, I don't need to feel justified by others because they have a particular brand logo on them. :)

And now that I have ran this thread so far off topic it's not even funny... I'm done. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Straight from JP...

So it appears that the parent company "JP" is JDM with a significant history. However the USDM branch "Vizage" is a more recent add on. So the company has roots in Japan, but current design and production is taking place state side.

And while I am all for using genuine original products, I always have to laugh when xB owners bring this up. Not because I think there is something wrong with using those JDM, hard to get, expensive parts. But because in the end, the xB it's self is a knock off! The car was developed by Toyota to mimic the beloved Astro/Safari built by GM. It wasn't an exact copy, but the majority of its design elements were taken directly from the extremely popular GM minivans.

Sorry bro but you can't believe everything you read. JP is NOT made in Japan however much they want to say it. They can say it till they're blue in the face but they are outsourced to China. Maybe the design was made in Japan but the actual fabrication is done in China. And yes those kits are WAY TOO overpriced. I never liked that kit anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to clear some thing else up....JP USA is really only two people. I have talked to both of them about my kit. I did not select my kit it came on the car. I never would have spent $1500 for a kit. Hell I would not even spen $500 on the Sniper kit. I just think companies out there need to come up with there own ideas or at least change them a little. I know this kit could use a little improvement on how the front bumper attaches. Also if JP is going to call it a Visage kit, it should not be fiberglass.

RTON20s no worries about taking the thread off topic, it is usually expected on scion boards.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just to clear some thing else up....JP USA is really only two people. I have talked to both of them about my kit. I did not select my kit it came on the car. I never would have spent $1500 for a kit. Hell I would not even spen $500 on the Sniper kit. I just think companies out there need to come up with there own ideas or at least change them a little. I know this kit could use a little improvement on how the front bumper attaches. Also if JP is going to call it a Visage kit, it should not be fiberglass.

RTON20s no worries about taking the thread off topic, it is usually expected on scion boards.
Yes I know JP USA I worked with the older brother of the owner of it. I have spoken to him on many occasions. I know that we can ALL agree that $1500 for a kit made in China is Ridiculous. And bodykits are bodykits. If you have a good shop working on your car they will make the Ebay one fit really nice. That's my .02.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the front mounts where the stock bumper mounts, on the top at least.....it does not mount on the bottom anywhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.