Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a musclecar/off road guy, so this is my first dive into japaneese car customization. All of my previous Toyota cars just stayed pretty much stock (not my 4x4's tho :D)

With that said, my question is: What is the big deal with JDM? I understand that they are hard to find parts, but it seems like people are putting alot of emphasis on JDM, but in my eyes, these are standard run of the mill parts, just in another country. Do the Japaneese people try to get ahold of USDM parts? (That was a serious question, I really dont know.) I just wonder if I am missing something here?

I see that there is now an "elite" club of JDM owners on here, and was wondering if this is a big thing in the tuner world, or just xB's?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Okay Ill do my best to answer it:

"JDM" is a cult following that is respected by certain tuners, and played out by the rest. I got into the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) parts because there were quite a few I couldnt get in the US. Theres many companies that you cant get here in the United States, so you have to go "JDM." The parts I have found tend to be MUCH higher quality and better overall fitment. Thats the main reason I subscribe to "JDM tuning." Its an expensive way to go, but then again, you gotta pay to play!

Yes, some Japanese tuners love getting US parts, and basically do exactly the opposite of what we do. (getting xB, Scion badges, rear side markers, etc)

Honda owners are big into getting these rare JDM parts too, but are much like in the xB owners, in that theres a lot of knockoffs out there of the original parts. (which I dont condone usually). Some people get into it, and some people really dont. Its just from what "school" you come from. I personally will continue to only buy JDM parts from now on out, being that Ive gone both ways on this. Of course theres some products that are great from the US, but I like the higher quality Japanese parts, and the fact that I know Im unique and different from every other xB in the nation.

Scotty

·
Registered
515 Posts
xjeepguy said:
I have always been a musclecar/off road guy, so this is my first dive into japaneese car customization. All of my previous Toyota cars just stayed pretty much stock (not my 4x4's tho :D)

With that said, my question is: What is the big deal with JDM? I understand that they are hard to find parts, but it seems like people are putting alot of emphasis on JDM, but in my eyes, these are standard run of the mill parts, just in another country. Do the Japaneese people try to get ahold of USDM parts? (That was a serious question, I really dont know.) I just wonder if I am missing something here?

I see that there is now an "elite" club of JDM owners on here, and was wondering if this is a big thing in the tuner world, or just xB's?
I have to say I agree with you here. The deal with JDM is its a big thing across the board with most japanese tuner cars. Some people go nuts on this concept. ie. JDM everything. I believe you should build a car for yourself and no one else. If other people love it, that's a bonus period.

Generally JDM parts are either way pricey, or hard to get your hands on. I think thats the whole point. It's just like one upping the next guy. Don't get me wrong here, I loove some JDM parts and they are almost always very good quality, but I'm not about to break the bank just trying to one up my homies. IMHO

Within this JDM style it seems to me that alot of it is just competition and loses the spirit of custom cars. Again in my opinion. I hope I don't offend anyone with this post, but it's been on my mind for a while. Also, I'm not saying my car is all that. It's just being built the way I want it.

To finally re-answer your question, alot of Japanese people build their cars to resemble our style also.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ScionScotty said:
Of course theres some products that are great from the US, but I like the higher quality Japanese parts, and the fact that I know Im unique and different from every other xB in the nation. Scotty
Except all of the other JDM style cars. Which is quite a few.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ScionScotty said:
Okay Ill do my best to answer it:
"JDM" is a cult following that is respected by certain tuners, and played out by the rest.
Scotty
^^^
Are you saying anyone not in the "JDM Cult" is played out?

Well Scotty, first I have to notice the fact that you fit right into the stereotype of most "JDM" tuners. JDM or nothing & not much respect for anything or anyone not JDM. (no matter what mods they have done)

The reason I am saying this, is from personal experience. I currently also own a 2000 Civic Si with many USDM & JDM parts installed. I bought the car new in 2000. I still love the car, but I hate the scene. All the arrogant JDM freaks & the beef. No matter where you go its always smack talkin' street racing competitive attitudes or JDM parts competitiveness. I never found a club that wasn't full of immature spoiled brats that had all the latest JDM goodies that were on credit or paid for by daddy...

I am not saying Scotty didn't pay for his own stuff, or that his stuff/car is not top notch... I just get the same vibe that drove me away from the Honda scene.

My first impression of the Scion xB cult was very down to earth. I liked how everyone repected each others style. I hope it stays that way...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess the only JDM I have on my box is the emblems, but there are alot of really cool parts I want, but are rare as hen's teeth here in the states.

It is a cool thought that in Japan people are buying xB emblems, when most of us have them in a box in the garage because we got their emblems LOL.

I have a buddy that married a japaneese woman and they fly out and see her parents twice a year. I was thinking about putting him on a little scavenger hunt for me. Are the parts for our body style still abundant over there, or are they catering to the new bB?

·
Registered
402 Posts

The first pic is of the garson d.a.d bB in the catalog......notice the badges....

the rest is me just enjoying the warehouse......

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
SoCal_ShadowXB said:
Except all of the other JDM style cars. Which is quite a few.
Naw Id be willing to bet theres no other xB like mine in the nation. Im all about the unique and rare parts :)

CloudedxB said:
^^^
Are you saying anyone not in the "JDM Cult" is played out?

Well Scotty, first I have to notice the fact that you fit right into the stereotype of most "JDM" tuners. JDM or nothing & not much respect for anything or anyone not JDM. (no matter what mods they have done)

The reason I am saying this, is from personal experience. I currently also own a 2000 Civic Si with many USDM & JDM parts installed. I bought the car new in 2000. I still love the car, but I hate the scene. All the arrogant JDM freaks & the beef. No matter where you go its always smack talkin' street racing competitive attitudes or JDM parts competitiveness. I never found a club that wasn't full of immature spoiled brats that had all the latest JDM goodies that were on credit or paid for by daddy...

I am not saying Scotty didn't pay for his own stuff, or that his stuff/car is not top notch... I just get the same vibe that drove me away from the Honda scene.

My first impression of the Scion xB cult was very down to earth. I liked how everyone repected each others style. I hope it stays that way...

No no no no no. Im sorry you took this the wrong way. When I said "certain" tuners respect JDM tuning, they do it with authentic parts and real things. When I said it was played out by the others, I meant the others that go into "JDM" tuning. Im talkin about the people who buy into all the eBay products that say JDM (catch cans, ground wires, etc).

I mean nothing against those who dont like getting JDM parts. Thats perfectly cool. I meant absolutely NO offense by it. Saying I dont respect other tuners is ABSURD. Did anyone not see my top 20 fav xbs? Frankenscions, Clays, and others like that are in no way JDM, but BEAUTIFUL pieces of art. JDM is not for everyone, and I know this. I feel like Im getting flamed for giving a damn explanation!

Im sorry the Honda world has treated you that way. I have noticed that too on Honda-tech, and Scionlife, how condescending they are. I DO NOT MEAN TO COME OFF THAT WAY. I notice it so much more on the bigger sites. If you know me, I respect all styles and all tuning. Ill give props to the most outlandish stuff, that isnt JDM. Hell Im in love with JLevis cars for his uniqueness!

Im sorry if it came off badly, this was not the intended goal. No offense to you or anyone that doesnt like Japanese parts. Sheesh!

scotty

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

that wood grain dash is sic. I love that.

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
cults=heaven's gate. we know what happened to them. JDM is just basically spend more money, or spend parents money, why buy groceries or buy gas when you can score rare JDM parts? i really don't get it. if you can buy knock offs on ebay that's cheap then that's good. it's all about saving money, that's why i change my car insurance to geico. but on the serious note. it's just practicality.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
xjeepguy said:

that wood grain dash is sic. I love that.
NOW THATS A Bb wow that it mmm has a scion & xb badge on the rear lid USDM CHOICE

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
ketchup_xb said:
cults=heaven's gate. we know what happened to them. JDM is just basically spend more money, or spend parents money, why buy groceries or buy gas when you can score rare JDM parts? i really don't get it. if you can buy knock offs on ebay that's cheap then that's good. it's all about saving money, that's why i change my car insurance to geico. but on the serious note. it's just practicality.
ayos ka talaga bro!!!! saludo!!!!
duude!!! leather seats!!! I like!!! prolly will do when my young kid is old enough not to step and scratch on it.:D :D ;)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
Well said!! :cool:
Originally Posted by AirecK
its all in the same...
they all have the same toyota heart!!!

OOO YES

·
Registered
361 Posts
jdm to me is nothing more than overpaying for high shipping costs. if you went to japan you could get it all at a reasonable price. its just that ordering it, too many people get their hands on it and the price just goes up. I dont think the quality is anything special. the only reason for jdm parts imo (no offence anyone) are for people who want to be orignal but dont have the ideas. which is why it goes the other way in japan with usdm. I like alot of the jdm stuff I see. but not because its some "rare" piece. just because I think its cool. your car is just that "yours". if you like jdm its all good. but dont be fooled into thinking its some superior quality because it came from japan. I like all the garson stuff ect... but you can go to a local interior shop and get ostretch belly seats custom made for about the same price you'll pay to ship some garson seat covers. so I think jdm usdm its like chocolate and vanilla its all ice cream. but if you want it to be a collectors item, nomatter what jdm parts you put on, you have a long wait for the xb to go classic.
I personally think all newer vehicles are quality if you takecare of them. I bought a xb because I like it. not because toyota is superior to anything. as a matter of fact I think its funny when people say american vehicles are trash or " only fast in a straight line". in the superstreet time attacks the cobalt has like the #2 or #3 fastest time ever posted on the track. and the C5R corvette ownes the lemans gt class.

·
Registered
288 Posts
JDM = If I had to explain it you wouldnt understand it.

If you like JDM, USDM or whatever you can get at your local hardware store its up to you. I just get tired of the constant back and forth. If its not your style who cares, build the car for you and leave it alone, no matter your style.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.