Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
'Obtainer' of JDM goodies
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been cleared by a Moderator here at clubxb.com to go ahead and do some JDM work.

First, a few lines about myself.... I have lived in Japan for 17 years. I am a JDM parts seller and 99% of my items are sold on ebay(ebay seller ID=JDMISME). I have been dealing in JDM parts for a little over 4 years, now. I have just recently made a career move from my being the owner/operator of a small English teaching business (400-500 students, weekly) to selling JDM items full-time. With this move, I have more time to get in contact with forums like the one that you have here.

My intentions with this thread are to research what JDM parts are of interest to xB owners and what is needed in order to make the conversion/installation of those parts ''useable'' and as trouble-free as possible on your end. A few years back I had posted some dash parts from a pre-2003 JDM bB. Because I had not done the proper research prior to obtaining and selling those parts, I was unaware of the differences in the dashes between the USDM bB and the pre-2003 JDM bB. I want to be sure that any parts that I can obtain for re-sale to xB owners is what you want, can use and need. That was the reason for my questions on the JDM 'bB' Illuminated cup holder.

With that said, I recently obtained a few parts from a JDM 2005 bB. One of those parts is the JDM illuminated 'bB' cupholder assembly mentioned above and the other part is a complete set of JDM power folding mirrors which includes a plug-n-play adapter harness that I fabricated so that the end-user won't be required to do any cutting or splicing, what-so-ever (I will place a thread in the classified section as soon as I finish this thread).

What I am looking for, as I said above, is a complete list of the JDM parts that you would be interested in purchasing. As I had state, I sell on ebay (for the time being...). I don't have set prices and 95% of my items start at $9.99 with no reserve and no buy-it-now prices.

Please state the parts that you would like to see available and any sub-parts that are needed or make installation easier. If you have any info on specifics of those parts or suggestions as to what should be included, please mention that, also.

If you have any info that may contradict what another member has stated, please let us (all the viewers of this thread) know so that it can be discussed in order to find out what is correct.

A LOOONG paragraph about versions and grades and models and.....

This information may be old hat to some people, but I think it would be a good idea to explain this so that there is little or no confusion as to what parts we are speaking of. But, you may actually be MORE confused by the time you finish reading this...but we'll give it a shot....

I realize that in the US everyone uses ''1st gen'', ''2nd gen''....and so forth and so on to describe a specific model/series of a particular vehicle. In Japan, the first 2-5 letters/numbers in the model# are commonly used to describe a vehicle. Like many cars in Japan, there are ZENKI and KOUKI versions of the bB. ZENKI and KOUKI refer to minor changes in the exterior or interior of a particular model. ZENKI meaning ''the type before minor changes'' and KOUKI meaning ''the type after minor changes''. The first bB to come out in Japan was in 2000. That JDM base model did not change until 2006 (2008 for the US). But, 'minor' changes were made to the exterior and interior in 2003. When these changes were made in 2003, the 2000-2003 JDM bB became the ''ZENKI'' model and the 2003-06 JDM bB became the ''KOUKI'' model. When comparing these years/models with the JDM bB and USDM xB it's a bit difficult because the USDM model did not come out until 2003. As far as I know, the 2003-2006 USDM model is equivilent to the JDM KOUKI model. Which is to say that, as far as I know, there is no USDM equivilent to the JDM ZENKI model. Sooo, to be honest.... I still haven't quite got the hang of how ''1st gen''/''2nd gen'' are used here, but I'll get it figured out soon enough.

I can say this, though...NCP30/NCP31/NCP34/NCP35 CANNOT be used to determine ZENKI or KOUKI (at least not here in Japan). I've just spent about an hour comparing model numbers on about 30 or so different bB's with years ranging from 2000-2006. NCP30, NCP31 had both kouki and zenki versions. I haven't researched deep enough to find out the differences between NCP30 and NCP31, yet. NCP34 refers to the OPEN DECK version and the NCP35 refers to the 4WD version. I also noted 4 different grades...the most common was the ZX. The others were SW, S/X and S. I have absolutley no idea what the differences are...yet.

A proper model number will have either TA, UA, GH, CBA before the NCPxx number(ie..TA-NCP30-DHSNK-X). I can say that I did not find a single KOUKI model which started with a TA or GH and could not find a single ZENKI model which started with CBA. That's not to say they don't exist...just that none came up in my search. Model numbers that started with UA came in both ZENKI and KOUKI versions... I know...I'm more confused now then I was when I began this, too.

Ok, I'll stop with the zenki/kouki talk, now. I just thought this might be useful information for some people.

Ok, back to the parts....

Please don't ask about direct-buy prices of your requested parts... I honestly cannot say right now, even if I were to make direct sales (meaning not via an auction format). That would depend on a few factors...are the parts local to me or do I have to have them shipped to me from other parts of Japan?...how much do the parts cost me to obtain?....if mods are needed will I be doing them or leaving that up to the buyer?....

Lastly, but actual quite important, I deal in used parts. I very very rarely go to the dealer to buy a part nor do I purchase new aftermarket parts for re-sale purposes.

Ok, make your lists....I'll be checking 'em twice!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am not really looking for anything personally but I wanted to say your intro was well written and very informative. Thanks for the info,good luck with your business and welcome to the board! ;)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am kinda interested in the bb fog lights. (not tinted)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
How about a bB rear hatch (complete), in TCM?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have always been curious about what all it would take to get a RHD setup. I imagine I would need a dash, instrument cluster, and a power steering rack, but I'm not sure what else.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Hey man, welcome. We've got a few die-hard JDM guys on here, who would probably love this. While I only scratch the surface of the Japanese market, I'm very interested in a specific kit and sub-items (if any applicable) that has been discontinued for a few years. Anyways, I'd like to discuss it in PM, not really to keep it secretive, but because I have questions and concerns to this particular setup. I'll be PMing you in a minute.

·
KEEPIN' IT FRESH...
274 Posts
*subscribed*

JDM bB powerfolding side mirrors are the only thing i can think of at the moment that i would want...

·
'Obtainer' of JDM goodies
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to chime in real quickly so nobody thinks I'm ignoring.... Definitely keep the items coming. Manufacturer/Maker names with wheels and body kits/parts requests would really make things go alot smoother in finding particular parts. I have to be honest, though...right now I am not moving larger items. I can only deal with items that can be sent via the post office. Larger items like body kits, bumpers, etc. will be done with containers. Doing containers WILL be done, just not for another 3 to 4 months, at least. There is alot of logistics involved with shipping a container and for now I need to get myself in a groove before I move onto the larger, container shipped items. But, don't let that discourage you from requesting...it's all gotta start somewhere!

For the headlights, you mean the clear type, right? The JDM Kouki type? Those are hard to find even here. Do they need to have HID or is Halogen also acceptable?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Halogen or HID. Either will work. Yea I mean the first gen Koukis, but would still go for the 2nd models. (for the driving light). Stock or aftermarket actually. Any bB headlight would work to tell ya the truth!

scotty

·
bB Squad
704 Posts
This is what I crave.

I hope you're serious about selling these things. Some of us are serious about purchasing them.

Best regards!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Welcome aboard! Do any of the Japanese bB's come with map lights (up behind the review mirror area)? Cause the american xb's only have one light up over the back seat which is not very condusive for reading or finding/seeing anything very well in the front seat area. And, about the japanese 4wd bB's, is the setup simaler to the nissan cube wherin the whole suspension is not heavier or differant, there is not more resistance and the gas milage is not affected? Would it be complicated and or expensive to convert? To all those inquiring about bB foglights, You can already get those here. I got mine from carson toyota (in southern california). The JDM plug will not fit the USDM plug, but anyone electrically inclined can make it work. I have them, much better than the USDM fogs

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
See with things like camber plates and bB fogs, its probably not going to be THAT much of a difference between new and used. Honestly. Theres tons of marketers for those parts too here. Just my .02. If Clubxb has a representative in Japan like we do with Don here, I think it should be parts that we normally cant get or are extremely hard to get. Cuscos and bB fogs are relatively easy to get in the states. Just a thought. Nothign to take away from Don, but it may take up more of his time than he wants for a minimal profit. Tails, folding mirrors, headlights, consoles, lips (I saw you wont do those for a bit though) and things like that will be the hardest and rarest and be the best to bring over IMHO.

scotty

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I believe our "Scion xBs" would be "KOUKI" versions of the "TA-NCP31" model, and equivalent, as closely as possible, to the "ZX" trim.

That is assuming the first two characters of the model are still used to mean the originating assembly plant like they were on my old Land Cruisers - in this case, "TA" for Takaoka Plant, where all the xBs originated:

I only have questions on one JDM part, but I need to find a detailed pic of it first to see if it even starts to match the USDM part (It's a dash part, so I'll start looking for a better pic than I already have.)

Hopefully your new business will do well - I know there is a large US market for some parts readily available in Japan, but not here. If you can tap into that... :D

Take care,

1 - 20 of 238 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.