Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Got no info but that is friggin' sweet! Looking forward to hearing about this one. It lights up blue. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
What about the cigarette lighter?

Don’t we have ours on the other side?
(I could be wrong, I never use the thing)

That is cool looking though, and blue :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Have one in my ride. Retails for about $120.00 from the dealer. Please note, it's not a plug and play install. Alot of cutting.

If I can locate some pictures will post them.

There's also a upgrade for it to make it change colors.

And, it's a 2nd. Gen bB part.

·
'Obtainer' of JDM goodies
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have one in my ride. Retails for about $120.00 from the dealer. Please note, it's not a plug and play install. Alot of cutting.

If I can locate some pictures will post them.

There's also a upgrade for it to make it change colors.

And, it's a 2nd. Gen bB part.
I think you may be confusing this part with a different part. This was pulled from a 2005 bB. I realize that USDM and JDM have different years but unless I've got the USDM terminology wrong concerning 1st gen and 2nd gen then a 2005 is a 1st Gen, no? From what I understand USDM 1st Gen is 2003-2007 and 2008+ is 2nd gen, correct?

I'm pretty sure this will bolt directly onto the USDM 1st Gen (JDM KOUKI model bB) xB's.

Don’t we have ours on the other side?
Yes, JDM and USDM would have that difference. But as far as I can tell, the screw holes for mounting this assembly are all the same for JDM and USDM. The amount of space behind this item seems to be more than enough to allow for the lighter/ashtray difference...meaning nothing would get in the way on the reverse side. I'm still searching for more info, though. Here is a pic of the JDM Kouki dash with this part taken off. This should make for a good comparison pic to determine if it can be used as-is on the USDM xB:

Does anyone have a pic similar to this angle for the USDM 1st Gen xB?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ok, here is a picture of mine installed.

I have better pictures but I'm sorry to say that they are in my old PC that had to be replaced.

First of all, to install this unit, I had to cut the back of the opening to make room for the sliders for the cup holder. In the picture of the bB, it has no back leaving room for the sliders.

Second, the side mounting bracket on the cup holder is wider then our xB's and had to be trimmed about a 1/4" on each side.

Third, the door has a temper on it which makes it wider on top then on the bottom. I had to trim the center console to make it fit. Once test fitted, I had to figure out how to mount it being I had to cut the mounting tabs off.
I use an epoxy to glue it in place.

Once it was installed, I chose to add a trim piece to give it a finish look.

Another note, I found the door did not have the same contour as our center console so I chose to resculpt the silver trim. This is why I had to piant it white. Luckly I found someone selling this part so I had no trouble cutting and modding it.

Once installed, I learned the wire harness was to short being the switches are located on top. The wire harness has to run up and over the sliders to reach the switches.

This mod took me awhile but being I had an extra one to work with, I took my time. Today, I find this mod to be one of my favorites. Best of all, looks great at night along with my blue lighting and bB speakers in the rear windows.

On a scale from 1-10, this mods is about a 8/9 and should not be done by a beginner.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen, Orataro, King of JDM.

Some day you’re going o have to show me all your mods. (When we have a LOT of free time ;) )
I completely missed this one. . . and I’ve never seen your car at night.
You have lights too?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, Orataro, King of JDM.

Some day you’re going o have to show me all your mods. (When we have a LOT of free time ;) )
I completely missed this one. . . and I’ve never seen your car at night.
You have lights too?
Hoot! Hoot! Sounds like a plan. Now, just don't tell my wife.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think I have those pics saved at home of your cup holder orataro. If I find it I will post it up for u. If you don't mind. I have acutally been looking for a complete JDM assembly I wonder if it will snap right in? We'll find out once I find one.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Orataro, thanks for the excellent info on this piece! Damn, I had assumed it would be more of a bolt-on item. I will definitely have people read your write-up concerning the installation!! Thanks again! Oh, and I think I finally understand what you meant by 2nd gen bB...I'll get it figured out soon enough!!

Badass piece. If it were up for sale (you got PM) ;) I might try to make it work.

scotty
Your wish is my command (well, this particular wish is...:) ). I will be placing a link in the classifieds for this item. It WILL be up for sale!! Thanks again!

Oh, to any other JDM lovers reading this thread, please take a look at another thread that I have just finished (http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f2/9053-jdm-parts-found-here-put-your/). This is a sort of JDM PARTS WISH LIST. Whatever JDM parts that you are looking for, place them here. I'll see what I can do for everyone here on MY side of the pond!!

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,117 Posts
Orataro, I bought one of these from you a couple of months ago. But it does not have the lower section with the lighter and ashtray. I have not gotten around to installing it. Will I need to morph the dash like you did, or is it a different version? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Orataro, I bought one of these from you a couple of months ago. But it does not have the lower section with the lighter and ashtray. I have not gotten around to installing it. Will I need to morph the dash like you did, or is it a different version? Thanks for any information.
You have the same as I do but without the ashtray/lighter. You'll have to mod it the same way I did. If you could find a spare console for sale, I'd suggest it so you can take your time doing the mod. Again, this is one of my favorite mods I've done.

Good Luck!

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,117 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the advice about what is needed to make the bB in-dash cup holder work on my 05. Today is the first time I had a chance to try the fitment of the one I bought from you.

Lord have mercy. :eek: You are exactly right about the necessary modifications to the stock center piece. I would not attempt the reshaping without having a spare.

What I found out gives me a better appreciation of your hard work to acheive the great look you accomplished with your dash. It also convinced me to put the cup holder up for sale.:cool:

Frank

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK. It's been quite a while since I started this thread and I think I'm finally ready to get this assembly out to anyone interested...I've finally gotten my hands on this additional piece and it will be included. This piece should make this a MUCH easier installation....

The JDM surrounding trim:

This will either do 1 of 2 things for the end-user....1) possibly allow you to NOT have to do any modifications to the surrounding trim and/or 2) allow you to not be so hesitant about doing possible needed modifications to the trim.

So, this will be what will be up for sale:

This will be starting next week on ebay so I will post an add w/link in the classified section as soon as it starts.

Thanks again for all the info about this item!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.