Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

I’m a very happy owner of an ‘06 red Salsa box that has brought me 120,000 smooth miles.

I have been doing my own maintenance and I haven’t had to go to a mechanic since 2009 for help. It helps that my local high school in town offers non credit evening automotive classes where you can maintain and fix up your own car with professional help and tools.

Despite the fact that I life in the Chicago area with lots of snow and salt I thought my xB was exempt from rust until last summer when I noticed some bubbling behind the driver side front wheel. Today I finally mustered up the courage to take a good look and remove the side skirt. The screw behind the round plastic rocker skirt cover was completely rusted out and had nothing more to grap onto. So that was not a good sign. But after I removed the side skirt besides the known bad area no other unpleasant surprises showed up. Now I have to figure out what to do.

I can either follow the Chris Fix route by building it up with bondo or order a new fender. I found a new after market panel painted for about $300 which is very tempting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read your blog about your white box. Great read. Very informative. As you stated years of parking below trees caused rust from inside the fenders. I don’t see any rust on the passenger side but I am planning peeking behind the wheel liner and remove any buildup I can find. Same with the rear wheels and the passenger side skirt.

Your blog has inspired me to make plans to take my red box all apart to return it to good condition. It’s our only family car. I don’t see any reason to retire my beloved xB.

I had the same thing happen to mine a couple years ago. It's all better now.
Here's my blog post about it:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts