Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
05 xb
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my 2003 lexus Is300 to buy a little econobox, which I am really excited about. It has been really hard finding a decent car, but we found one we really like in our price range. We need a higher mile car, this one has 126 miles, but everything mechanical sounds great. I drove it twice for long periods of time, It idles perfect, sounds perfect, shifts smooth, and has very little wear for it's age.

The real problem is electrical problems. Like I said, we are having a hard time finding one out here in Utah, and really want this one. The first time we drove it, The rear right window wouldnt roll down, the alarm would go off occasionally with the unlock button on keyless entry, and the ac switch lights would flicker. We low balled him due to these issues (well, low compared to what these things sell for) and he opted to get the issues fixed. He claimed he got them fixed so I went to drive it yesterday. I think he is a diy guy when it comes to electricals. This time, the windows all worked, until 10 minutes into my drive my driver window stuck for a minute down, and finally went up after about a minute. The battery looked pretty corroded, and it is parked outside all of the time. It has been rainy for a couple weeks, so I wonder if water might be a simple problem. I also wondered if anyone had any insight on it. My biggest concern is some major electrical damage happened that I don't know about. It all seems like simple things, but with two different windows, the remote unlocker, and the lights I get scared. I think it is all typical for xbs at this mileage, I just wanted some insight. :D

Help me out guys, I'm anxious as all hell to join in some discussions :)

---------- Post added 09-17-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

I also forgot to mention its a 2005 camo first gen. I am new to forums of any kind. So please be patient with me for making mistakes :) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Is it a salvage or repairable title? My guess is one of two things.
1) He is a really bad do it yourself electrical guy.
2) Car is a repairable due to it being submerged in water causing the electrical to corrode.

·
05 xb
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is a clean title, and the car's history is 100% clean. It is an Arizona car, which means heat, but I'll take that over salty Utah roads any day.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
The rear right window wouldnt roll down, the alarm would go off occasionally with the unlock button on keyless entry, and the ac switch lights would flicker.
There is only 1 light (Green inside the A/C button). Unless you are talking about panel illumination around the climate controls. May wanna be more specific.
Alarm: is it aftermarket or factory? Look at the remote, may be it's messed up and panic mode is activated somehow.
Window problem is common on xB's just like with any other used car.
If the battery is corroded just get the new one and clean/replace terminals.

·
05 xb
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it was the illumination around it like you said. Sorry, I didn't actually see the problem, and I am new to xb's so I didn't remember the exact layout. It is a factory alarm.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
I've heard about that alarm problem few times but no one posted how it got fixed:(
Center panel illumination flickering is common too. Mine was doing that and then it kinda fixed itself. Usually happens after someone had the center panel disassembled.

·
05 xb
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good to know these are all common problems. They wan't 7, and have come down to 6600. I am still not convinced it's worth it. Any opinions? It has some sort of lowering setup, I couldnt tell because it was dark and the springs were black, I'm guessing trd though because The previous owner also did trd exhaust. Tires at 90% and a fairly clean body.

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
I'd spend my money on a car without issues.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
TRD's are white.
Don't buy anything in the dark. At lest have a good mechanic inspect the car in the shop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am still not convinced it's worth it. Any opinions?
I'm no Scion expert, but I just bought one so I'm familiar with what's out there, at least in the San Francisco / Silicon Valley area. Personally, I'd steer clear of electrical problems, just because they can be tricky and a pain in the ass to track down and repair, at least for the average backyard mechanic. I think for $6600 you should be getting a vehicle that shows some wear and tear, but is in sound running condition and pretty much needs nothing. One car I almost bought for around that price had about the same number of miles as the one you're looking at, and was very clean inside and out, other than some scrapes and dings on the body and a slightly cracked windshield that you could probably get away with keeping for years. The main reason I didn't buy that car was it was the one xB color I really don't like. I ended up with a like new 2006 xB with only 76k on it for $8000, which I thought was a square deal.

What I found for the most part when shopping, were a lot of xBs with salvage titles, high miles, mods I didn't want, badly written and sketchy ads, over priced dealers, etcetera. Still, I think if you're patient you can find something nice in the $6000-8000 range.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Personally, electrical problems are one thing I will not deal with when buying a used car. You don't know what the previous owner hacked together, and it is often more of a headache than it's worth.

For that amount, as the above user said, you could get a sound car with a little rougher body that would be MUCH easier to fix.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Offer 6 or walk. If it's a factory alarm, it call all be traced out, or better yet, ripped out as it is worthless anyway. The window issue is simple too. You can replace the motors fairly cheap. Just get it, you'll love it.

·
05 xb
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly what I did about a week ago. They said no, which I was okay with, then we moved on to look for more. Since then we haven't found a single one. It is almost like so many idiots and dealers have posted scions for so far above value, that everyone thinks their 100k xbs are worth at least 9500. Like a little boost in the local xb economy thanks to stupid people haha. last 2 posts are a 2005 auto xb with 140k for 10k. and another 05 with 100k for9500. Everything is wayyy overpriced. and we don't have a car right now. It's getting frustrating. haha.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Might I suggest flying somewhere and driving back? That's how I acquired my box.

Flew down to Atlanta, GA and drove back 12 hours for the perfect car.

·
05 xb
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like to fly some where. I am on an extreme budget right now. I just got laid off a couple weeks ago and finding work hasn't been easy. My car budget is slowly depleting and it's really frustrating. haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wait a little bit and make sure you find one without immediate problems. Changing tires is one thing but if you can't get windows up at times you could be in trouble. If you love it have a mechanic take a look. Last thing you want is to have big problems later on that could cost lots. But def get an xb if you love them. I've had many vehicles and will say its by far the my favorite. And I've owned 72 beetle, 93 gt mustang convertible, 07 z71 silverado, but the 12 xb takes the award for my favorite. I have 2 kids and dogs and this thing is perfect for me. And so fun to roll around in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are a bunch of them anytime in the Denver area-not too far from you. I recently bought my XB which is an 06.5 with 45k for 8K. It is white and in pristine condition and was owned by a master mechanic----unbelievable! It looks new and is totally stock which was fine with me. Look at Denver Craigslist and good luck. If you see something you are really interested in I would be happy to check it out for you. My name is John Bradley and I am a retired University of Colorado professor. My cell is 720-938-4866. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts