Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding my 06 Scion XB. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and have noticed from time to time that when my car shifts to the last gear, (it's a automatic) it sometimes does it at 60 mph and 4,000 R.P.M.s. It usually shifts to the last gear around 40 mph and 3,000 R.P.M.s. I don't acelerate very fast either. Is this normal for my car? Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
FatalJRA said:
I have a question regarding my 06 Scion XB. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and have noticed from time to time that when my car shifts to the last gear, (it's a automatic) it sometimes does it at 60 mph and 4,000 R.P.M.s. It usually shifts to the last gear around 40 mph and 3,000 R.P.M.s. I don't acelerate very fast either. Is this normal for my car? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Do you notice it when driving on an upgrade? The tranny is set-up to stay in 3rd gear longer under those conditions. (It's covered in your manual.)

It does seem to hold there for a long time.......

Oh, welcome! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any upgrades, it's just bone stock. I will have to read my manual again regarding this. Does your XB do the same on occassion? I just want to make sure my car is okay, at least while I still have a warranty.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
FatalJRA said:
I don't have any upgrades, it's just bone stock. I will have to read my manual again regarding this. Does your XB do the same on occassion? I just want to make sure my car is okay, at least while I still have a warranty.
Yeah, on both. I'm looking again in the manual, haven't located it yet....... this is making me nuts, I know it's here somewhere! :eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The transmission will hold a lower gear for a longer time when the vehicle is cold. It will also shift at different points depending on your driving style that outing. If you're driving more aggressive it will shift more aggressive.

If you're still not comfortable with what it is doing, bring it to your service department and take them for a ride.

-Alex

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
The transmission will hold a lower gear for a longer time when the vehicle is cold. It will also shift at different points depending on your driving style that outing. If you're driving more aggressive it will shift more aggressive.

If you're still not comfortable with what it is doing, bring it to your service department and take them for a ride.

-Alex
Thank you Alex! I know I read it somewhere, thought it was the manual! :eek:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its normal.

When you start traveling to highway speeds, it will occasionally shift into third (if you have it in drive) to increase acceleration. When you are traveling at 40mph, and then pick the pace up you will push the gas a little more to increase speed, therefore the possibility of it shifting into third to increase speed faster is common, and 70% it does. Being your motor is stock, you probably don't notice this occuring but it does. No need to worry about it.

Also, i recommend to let the motor warm up before you leave. AKA letting the idiot light (blue dash light) go off prior to leaving. It doesn't hurt anything if you go before hand, but i did this in my last car (although it was a manual).. Reason i do it is mostly out of habit, but it also allows the fuel to warm up going through the motor as well as internals/tranny. It doesn't put quite as much stress and it will also shift into OD (last gear) if you do this, rather than ignition, go! Just thought i'd share.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone lowered their XB without changing out the stock shocks? I was thinking of going with the Tein gold shocks which only drop it about 1 inch all around. Will this do any damage to my stock shocks? I really don't want to have to buy new ones. I might as well get coil overs. And secondly, do I need a camber kit for a minimal 1 inch drop? If anyone hear has done this with their XB please let me know.

·
Registered
214 Posts
FatalJRA said:
Has anyone lowered their XB without changing out the stock shocks? I was thinking of going with the Tein gold shocks which only drop it about 1 inch all around. Will this do any damage to my stock shocks? I really don't want to have to buy new ones. I might as well get coil overs. And secondly, do I need a camber kit for a minimal 1 inch drop? If anyone hear has done this with their XB please let me know.
You can drop up to df210's with stock shocks without causing too extreme wear on them. You will have to trim the bump stops slightly, but some people don't trim them up and it works fine as well. In terms of how fast they will wear, it depends how hard you drive around corners, and if you autocross. Usually, stock shocks on df210s (2.2-2.3'' drop) will last at least 20,000 miles, but again depends on your driving habbits and if you do any road course environment. So 1'' drop is easily done, and shocks should last as long as they would with stock springs.

You don't need a camber kit with any drop, you can drop 5'' and not need a camber kit. If you drop past 1.5'' negative camber will naturally occure, and will increase performance around the corners. Camber kits shouldn't be something you want to look at unless you have, say 16x9's and a drop. Even _ _x9's with stock height you will need spacers/shims possibly, and camber plates. Usually anything below 7.5 you don't need anything else depending upon offset and so forth. 8's will rub slightly, and rub an incredible amount with autox but yeah.

With stock tires, or anything under 7.5 in width you wont even need to consider it unless you love the looks, or are into the performance side of things. And trust me, the box corners extremely well. :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey man, i went with the Tanabe lowering springs (2.2 in front n 2.0 back) and there is still PLENTY of room to the road and is enough drop to look sweet. One inch just seems a bit pointless to me (no offense at all). You can find springs for pretty cheap, aorund $200 or so, i would def recommend at least 2 inch drop. I think you would be much happier in long run. But that is just my 2 cents. You may have diff plans i dont know about, so, if thats the case then forget what i said! Peace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.