Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was helping a friend after work jump start his car. It was late at night and I pulled up right next to his car. I didn't think to turn off my XB and left it running with my headlights on. He put the negatives on first and the positives last. His car ended up starting and he removed the cables while my car was running.
I know you are not suppossed to connect the cables while the vehicle is running, but I forgot, being that it was dark and I could not see. And secondly, I believe you are suppossed to hook up the positives first and then the negatives. My car appears to be fine. Just want to make sure I didn't do any damage to my battery, alternator, or electrical system:( . Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never heard about not hooking the cables up while your car is running, that is how I have always done it. Your car is fine, it does not matter which cable you hook up first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
NVSHSKR said:
I have never heard about not hooking the cables up while your car is running, that is how I have always done it. Your car is fine, it does not matter which cable you hook up first.

yeah what he said. i dont think you have anything to worry about

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh wrong it dose make a difference witch one is first and to be on the safe never land the -neg to the batt terminal always find some bare metal to make sure you have a solid ground alt bracket or any unpainted surface first find the neg. and than go to the + pos terminal it's not so much what will happen to your wiring as much as your Batt can explode gases can build up in your batt and they will explode as far as the car running NP as long as it in Park when removing the cables do it in the opposite order always Pos last on 1st off You never what to be holding the Neg when the POS is connected do itright you might just save a life

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Listen to OMC.

Also, if you have the donor vehicle running, DON'T gun the engine of the dead vehicle after it starts. That could create a diode problem in the alternator of the donor car. That's something you may not see for a couple of months.

IMO, everybody in the world should buy a jump pack. Then the world would be a happy place.

-Alex

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yea we have strict azz rules at the shop for jumping vehicles and using recharge packs. Positive ALWAYS goes on first. Theres no exception. Then negative goes on, and actually, the part about hooking up to a alternator bracket or ground off the battery, we're told is a old wives tale. Its always best to hook positive end to terminal on battery, and hook negative end to terminal on battery. That way it most accurately can test a battery or charging system, is to have both terminals on the battery connected. They say the battery exploding is kinda a myth really.

I dont know really. I just go by what my elders at the shop tell me. They say just connect it to the terminals, and things will be easiest.

Scotty

·
Registered
659 Posts
not to be argumentative just as a warning i personally witness a batt explode in a car under the hood while an old friend of mine was jumping the batt what i said before was told to us by the fire department investigator who was called in b/c of the acid all over the street and other cars parked near by iam not trying to argue the point just saying better save than sorry OMC peace out:)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
*Edit* sorry i was reading this wrong. i thought we were talking about using recharge packs. battery to battery would make sense something could go wrong. my bad on the misread.

scotty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.