Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 and my buddy was telling me he thinks there is a pending case on the excessive oil use issue.

Anyone have a link to read about this or become part of the class?

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
What is it with people wanting to Sue the company because of their negligence or ignorance? I've never had a vehicle burn oil unless it was bast time to change the oil...

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Let's see... 2 boosted cars, few old neglected V8s, handful of modern vehicles that others claim issues with yet have not seen said issue yet.. think that's owner negligence and ignorance... first we had a guy want to sue Toyota for making the visors conform to government regulations because it inconvenienced him. Now this about burning oil? Don't drive it like you stole it and maintain it properly... also doubt just switch from one type of oil to another just because it was on sale... manufacturers tell you what to use in the engine to prolong the life of it so when you go from regular to full synthetic back to regular and don't expect some seals to leak and burn that's ignorance and neglect

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let's see... 2 boosted cars, few old neglected V8s, handful of modern vehicles that others claim issues with yet have not seen said issue yet.. think that's owner negligence and ignorance... first we had a guy want to sue Toyota for making the visors conform to government regulations because it inconvenienced him. Now this about burning oil? Don't drive it like you stole it and maintain it properly... also doubt just switch from one type of oil to another just because it was on sale... manufacturers tell you what to use in the engine to prolong the life of it so when you go from regular to full synthetic back to regular and don't expect some seals to leak and burn that's ignorance and neglect
I must be stupid. I guess I would have figured that in order for a court to rule in favor of the class in this case there would need to be substantial evidence presented proving that Toyota built these cars with faulty / defective parts destined to fail prematurely. Am I wrong? You know, it is possible that manufactures cut corners in an attempt to increase profits...right? Is there anything wrong with diligent consumers and courts for that matter keeping them honest? Which one of us need to pull our head out of the sand here? Or, are you the CEO at Toyota?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I seem to remember an issue of excessive oil consumption. But to prove your case, service dept had to seal oil cap. Then you had to continually take to dealer so they could monitor oil level. I believe rings were changed to different type in 2009. This was also while under warranty. Haven't heard any updates on this issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I seem to remember an issue of excessive oil consumption. But to prove your case, service dept had to seal oil cap. Then you had to continually take to dealer so they could monitor oil level. I believe rings were changed to different type in 2009. This was also while under warranty. Haven't heard any updates on this issue.
Seems logical...thanks for the info

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
The suit mentions both the TSB and the procedure for determining oil consumption. Yeah, I read it. I'm just that kind of geek.

·
Registered
240 Posts
To prove you wrong and support the claim there is a problem with the engine; my 08 xb was a victim to 'burning oil'.

Owner negligence and ignorance? Ran Toyota 0w-20 synthetic from day 1. Change every 5k. Changed by dealership. Drive my xb like a box; no fast reving, just slow and steady. Socal weather. Then...

The burning oil started to show at around 50k+...dealership did the oil consumption test. Concluded the engine needs to be rebuilt. Engine rebuilt FOR FREE. 20k+ miles later...no sign of 'burning oil'.

I may not be a smart man, but the dealership knew what needed to be done and they did it.

Reactions: EquisBe

·
Registered
124 Posts
My buddies' 09 Camry was purchased new, driven by his wife, oil changed every 5 thousand miles at the dealership. Now 60,000 miles and using a quart of oil every 400 hundred miles. Just one of the reasons for the law suit.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Most 1st Gen consumption problems come from neglect (from a previous owner, for example). The 1NZ-FE is a really robust engine.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Just got a used 09. What oil brand should i use??? Thanks.... :)
If you're consuming oil, then API certified high-mileage oil might help with that. You may have to do some trial-and-error to see which one works best for you under those circumstances.

If you're not consuming oil, then any API-certified 5w20 will do. Synthetic isn't necessary, but you can run it if you want to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When i had my 05 xb for 7 years of ownership i used Mobil clean 5000. Going to be doing my first oil change on my 09 very soon. I've got almost 47k miles. The dealership used synthetic at 42k before I got the car. Can i just use Mobil clean again??? Thanks everyone..... ��

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.